An English man in lockdown in France

Deserter

On ROPS
On ROPs
Very very badly wife however is fluent why?
I'm learning the language myself, second month in 1 hour every night (whilst exercising or in bed) vie the web, reading and writing, it is becoming more familiar to me. i was going to ask how long it took you to really understand it, i was going for Napoleons apparent record of learning it in 3 months,...i'm someway off.

I'm learning the language myself, second month in 1 hour every night (whilst exercising or in bed) vie the web, reading and writing, it is becoming more familiar to me. i was going to ask how long it took you to really understand it, i was going for Napoleons apparent record of learning it in 3 months,...i'm someway off.
I still have trouble - I can understand the lessons - the trouble is in reality - people drop words - use slang and of course theres some interesting accents.

Often I can follow as long as I have context - without context theres several common words that either sound the same or same word means several things depending on context - I can get lost

Go on you tube watch the Asterix cartoons - that will attune you to hearing accents and faster speech - whilst the imagry fills in context/

Also Higny on you tube - french modeller 40K LOTR - he does reviews and battle reports - again theres visual context to help.

And dont forget War of the worlds - the French one not that bbc travesty

Oyibo

LE
We arrived in France Jan 2017, my wife has a job in Paris that rents our property for us. We were lucky enough that we had a choice of properties. Ours is in a small village on the outskirts of Paris. We chose the location as we have a small girl (3 at the time of writing) also we had two dogs. The location of the property means we can walk to the forest in 10mins at toddler speed (more about that in a bit).

When covid 19 arrived in France we had seen the measures that the Italians had taken, we realised that similar measures would have to happen in France. So while my wife was away in the UK for a week long course I started to make a list of the food we had in the house as well as the camping meals we had left over from my adventures in my van. I calculated that in just the camping meals alone we had enough meals for the three of us for nine days. They would be boring meals, that’s why they have been left over. As a family we like to have a relatively well stocked, fridge, freezer and cupboards.

Moving on to 12th March 2020 The French president announced that the education system would be closing on the 16th March 2020 so after taking our girl to school on the 13th I went to our local corner shop brought some more, milk, bread, fruit and veg. The shop was still fully stocked and no one seemed to be panic buying, French nonchalance I thought.

14th March 2020 it was announced that, Cafes, clubs, bars and all other non-essential places were to close from midnight. The next day I went out to the shop brought more, milk, veg, a few tins of spam and corned beef. Still no panic buying by the locals. Okay I thought we have landed on our feet here the locals are going to be sensible about this whole thing.

15th March 2020 we went for a family walk in the local forest. It seemed that the whole of the local population had the same idea and that everyone who possessed a bike had taken it out for a ride (more about that later).

16th March 2020 the president announced he would address the nation at 20:00 local time. Off I go to the local shop in the afternoon leaving the little one with her Mum. Well my hope we are in a sensible community is dashed there was feck all left on the shelves. I was not really after anything the trip was just a case of idol curiosity. The attestation forms (yes there are two different ones, this is France after all) come in to effect.

17th March 2020 after the address last night we are in lockdown from midday.

18th March 2020 wife works from home little one and I play.

!9th March 2020 a change in what you can do while you are out. You are only allowed 2Km from home exercising and only for twenty mins, no cycling at all, no going to the park and the most unusual not allowed in to the forest

20th March 2020 the local shop, doctors and chemist are still open but on a new set of opening hours. The shelves have been restocked. Life is carrying on pretty much as it ever did. Though both the wife and child now have temps in the 38s with cold like symptoms. Joy... Still little lady will be four tomorrow.
Similar experience for me as well.

On the 18th I popped into the village for some essentials (beer). About 200m from my house I stopped to say hello to a neighbour (who is also a local councilor). She asked if I had my "passeport" (ATTESTATION DE DÉPLACEMENT DÉROGATOIRE - an obligatory paper stating why one has left the house) and then we got into a discussion about the situation in which she was demanding to know why the UK was doing nothing. After a short while of explaining the UK approach I gave up and drove on.

About 400m later I pulled over to the side of the road to allow a Gendarmerie vehicle past (very narrow roads around here). They stopped alongside me and I asked them if they needed my 'Attestation'.

"Where are you going" asked the nearest flic.​
"To the shops" said I.​
"No problem" said caporal-chef Phillippe.​

Queue outside the local shop, everyone 2m apart, limited to 3 in the shop at one time. Pasta and flour all gone. Mercifully, plenty of beer left.

Driving back, saw two gendarmes on foot patrol - first time I have seen that in the village.

Down here all parks and green spaces are now closed - because people were jogging (really sat on benches chatting) in groups.

Im not sure if its National - but I imagine so

We have made the ultimate sacrifice of giving up daily baguettes (well traditions) to avoid going outside. I'm missing running, have been on enforced leave for a fortnight since my workplace had to close and 2 children are working/studying from home.

On the plus side middle child works at Picard (posh frozen food chain) so he is classed as an essential worker and can bring us food!

Bon courage

clayp1g

War Hero
Down here all parks and green spaces are now closed - because people were jogging (really sat on benches chatting) in groups.

Im not sure if its National - but I imagine so
I'm guessing so we have the same restrictions in Yvelines.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
On route to a weekly shop this morning the Gendarmes gently but firmly reminded us that, even though ComdHomeFront and I had separate attestations, the rules are that only one person household can go to do the shopping. 2-up in a car looks like we are being too sociable!

On route to a weekly shop this morning the Gendarmes gently but firmly reminded us that, even though ComdHomeFront and I had separate attestations, the rules are that only one person household can go to do the shopping. 2-up in a car looks like we are being too sociable!
Yet the French equivalents of you gov states you both need a note but nothing says you cant go together

Left hand - right had

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Yet the French equivalents of you gov states you both need a note but nothing says you cant go together

Left hand - right had
Too true, but I would like to think myself wise-enough and sufficiently experienced here to know that “Thank you officer, we appreciate your advice” tends to have a better outcome than “Look here numbnuts ........”.

Too true, but I would like to think myself wise-enough and sufficiently experienced here to know that “Thank you officer, we appreciate your advice” tends to have a better outcome than “Look here numbnuts ........”.
Can never fathom that attitude - here or uk

You've been stopped - why give attitude - if nothing else - theres a better chance of and dont do it again - instead of a ticket if your civil.

We arrived in France Jan 2017, my wife has a job in Paris that rents our property for us. We were lucky enough that we had a choice of properties. Ours is in a small village on the outskirts of Paris. We chose the location as we have a small girl (3 at the time of writing) also we had two dogs. The location of the property means we can walk to the forest in 10mins at toddler speed (more about that in a bit).

When covid 19 arrived in France we had seen the measures that the Italians had taken, we realised that similar measures would have to happen in France. So while my wife was away in the UK for a week long course I started to make a list of the food we had in the house as well as the camping meals we had left over from my adventures in my van. I calculated that in just the camping meals alone we had enough meals for the three of us for nine days. They would be boring meals, that’s why they have been left over. As a family we like to have a relatively well stocked, fridge, freezer and cupboards.

Moving on to 12th March 2020 The French president announced that the education system would be closing on the 16th March 2020 so after taking our girl to school on the 13th I went to our local corner shop brought some more, milk, bread, fruit and veg. The shop was still fully stocked and no one seemed to be panic buying, French nonchalance I thought.

14th March 2020 it was announced that, Cafes, clubs, bars and all other non-essential places were to close from midnight. The next day I went out to the shop brought more, milk, veg, a few tins of spam and corned beef. Still no panic buying by the locals. Okay I thought we have landed on our feet here the locals are going to be sensible about this whole thing.

15th March 2020 we went for a family walk in the local forest. It seemed that the whole of the local population had the same idea and that everyone who possessed a bike had taken it out for a ride (more about that later).

16th March 2020 the president announced he would address the nation at 20:00 local time. Off I go to the local shop in the afternoon leaving the little one with her Mum. Well my hope we are in a sensible community is dashed there was feck all left on the shelves. I was not really after anything the trip was just a case of idol curiosity. The attestation forms (yes there are two different ones, this is France after all) come in to effect.

17th March 2020 after the address last night we are in lockdown from midday.

18th March 2020 wife works from home little one and I play.

!9th March 2020 a change in what you can do while you are out. You are only allowed 2Km from home exercising and only for twenty mins, no cycling at all, no going to the park and the most unusual not allowed in to the forest

20th March 2020 the local shop, doctors and chemist are still open but on a new set of opening hours. The shelves have been restocked. Life is carrying on pretty much as it ever did. Though both the wife and child now have temps in the 38s with cold like symptoms. Joy... Still little lady will be four tomorrow.
You have been banned from the forest so that you do not inadvertently stumble over the mass graves being prepared.

Just got back from the local Edeka ( grocery store ),entrance and exit are through separate doors, yellow and black tape on the floor at about 6 foot intervals to remind us to keep our distance, meat and cold cuts, cheese etc are handed over the counter at arms length. The fruit and veg section is still well stocked in most things, as is the section with beer, wine and spirits. Canned goods, and things like pasta and rice have been decimated, as well as toilet paper, toothpaste, liquid soaps etc. Wonder of wonders, the Boxheads are actually forming orderly queues.

Pretty much all shops other than grocery, petrol stations ,and chemists have been shut down, as have all pubs and restaurants. Delivery and take out are still permitted. All public gatherings are banned, you can still get out to walk the dog, or go for a bike ride, jog etc, but only alone, or with your immediate family.

I can see a massive Amazon Prime bill in my near future...

Theres a mounting suspicion that were about to embark on an Italian style lock down as too many people are flouting the rules
Bring back public flogging..........it will have two effects. Teach the buggers a lesson and entertain the masses - suitably spaced.

Just got back from the local Edeka ( grocery store ),entrance and exit are through separate doors, yellow and black tape on the floor at about 6 foot intervals to remind us to keep our distance, meat and cold cuts, cheese etc are handed over the counter at arms length. The fruit and veg section is still well stocked in most things, as is the section with beer, wine and spirits. Canned goods, and things like pasta and rice have been decimated, as well as toilet paper, toothpaste, liquid soaps etc. Wonder of wonders, the Boxheads are actually forming orderly queues.

Pretty much all shops other than grocery, petrol stations ,and chemists have been shut down, as have all pubs and restaurants. Delivery and take out are still permitted. All public gatherings are banned, you can still get out to walk the dog, or go for a bike ride, jog etc, but only alone, or with your immediate family.

I can see a massive Amazon Prime bill in my near future...
I got a package from the postman this morning..............he kind of chucked it to me...........pat style:

I'm guessing so we have the same restrictions in Yvelines.
Very national with further restrictions coming on Monday apparently.
Just watched the local news with Gendarmerie at the doors of supermarkets checking papers, then the national news whereby the Forest of Fontainebleu is OOB totally.
Quite a big place really.
Drones up there now, and over any beaches or riverside parks too elsewhere in France.
Mobile field hospital being set up in Mulhouse (Alsace) which is apparently badly hit.
French air force just medevacked 6 from there to hospital in Bordeaux which is not as badly hit.

Locally here (south-west) the shops have established a system, a surprise to me too, but queueing here, outside the UK is still orderly.
People start waiting for the local Super U to open at 9am, and form a line.
The first 30 consumers are allowed in, and as they leave the corresponding number is allowed in.
A bit like discos in the 70's apparently.
Lots of stock on the shelf and limitations on numbers of what you can buy.
No visible shortages yet, but this is all second hand from neighbours though.
We did an online shop yesterday to be collected by me on Tuesday from the Drive annexe.
Then I shall see for myself.
Diesel and petrol prices continue to fall, only €1.12 a litre now for gazole.

I got a package from the postman this morning..............he kind of chucked it to me...........pat style:
John was have thing now f* off the other day (ok, it was from China). He's one of those posties that would partake of tea and biccies if offered. Strange.