An English man in lockdown in France

clayp1g

War Hero
We arrived in France Jan 2017, my wife has a job in Paris that rents our property for us. We were lucky enough that we had a choice of properties. Ours is in a small village on the outskirts of Paris. We chose the location as we have a small girl (3 at the time of writing) also we had two dogs. The location of the property means we can walk to the forest in 10mins at toddler speed (more about that in a bit).

When covid 19 arrived in France we had seen the measures that the Italians had taken, we realised that similar measures would have to happen in France. So while my wife was away in the UK for a week long course I started to make a list of the food we had in the house as well as the camping meals we had left over from my adventures in my van. I calculated that in just the camping meals alone we had enough meals for the three of us for nine days. They would be boring meals, that’s why they have been left over. As a family we like to have a relatively well stocked, fridge, freezer and cupboards.

Moving on to 12th March 2020 The French president announced that the education system would be closing on the 16th March 2020 so after taking our girl to school on the 13th I went to our local corner shop brought some more, milk, bread, fruit and veg. The shop was still fully stocked and no one seemed to be panic buying, French nonchalance I thought.

14th March 2020 it was announced that, Cafes, clubs, bars and all other non-essential places were to close from midnight. The next day I went out to the shop brought more, milk, veg, a few tins of spam and corned beef. Still no panic buying by the locals. Okay I thought we have landed on our feet here the locals are going to be sensible about this whole thing.

15th March 2020 we went for a family walk in the local forest. It seemed that the whole of the local population had the same idea and that everyone who possessed a bike had taken it out for a ride (more about that later).

16th March 2020 the president announced he would address the nation at 20:00 local time. Off I go to the local shop in the afternoon leaving the little one with her Mum. Well my hope we are in a sensible community is dashed there was feck all left on the shelves. I was not really after anything the trip was just a case of idol curiosity. The attestation forms (yes there are two different ones, this is France after all) come in to effect.

17th March 2020 after the address last night we are in lockdown from midday.

18th March 2020 wife works from home little one and I play.

!9th March 2020 a change in what you can do while you are out. You are only allowed 2Km from home exercising and only for twenty mins, no cycling at all, no going to the park and the most unusual not allowed in to the forest

20th March 2020 the local shop, doctors and chemist are still open but on a new set of opening hours. The shelves have been restocked. Life is carrying on pretty much as it ever did. Though both the wife and child now have temps in the 38s with cold like symptoms. Joy... Still little lady will be four tomorrow.

We have a place over in France too, spoke to our neighbours yesterday and as you say, it's total lockdown, you need a letter of authorisation and you driving licence upon your person, apparently, to take your dog for a walk. Certain 'enterprising' people are renting out their dogs to non owners, so they can go out for a walk.

We arrived in France Jan 2017, my wife has a job in Paris that rents our property for us. We were lucky enough that we had a choice of properties. Ours is in a small village on the outskirts of Paris. We chose the location as we have a small girl (3 at the time of writing) also we had two dogs. The location of the property means we can walk to the forest in 10mins at toddler speed (more about that in a bit).

When covid 19 arrived in France we had seen the measures that the Italians had taken, we realised that similar measures would have to happen in France. So while my wife was away in the UK for a week long course I started to make a list of the food we had in the house as well as the camping meals we had left over from my adventures in my van. I calculated that in just the camping meals alone we had enough meals for the three of us for nine days. They would be boring meals, that’s why they have been left over. As a family we like to have a relatively well stocked, fridge, freezer and cupboards.

Moving on to 12th March 2020 The French president announced that the education system would be closing on the 16th March 2020 so after taking our girl to school on the 13th I went to our local corner shop brought some more, milk, bread, fruit and veg. The shop was still fully stocked and no one seemed to be panic buying, French nonchalance I thought.

14th March 2020 it was announced that, Cafes, clubs, bars and all other non-essential places were to close from midnight. The next day I went out to the shop brought more, milk, veg, a few tins of spam and corned beef. Still no panic buying by the locals. Okay I thought we have landed on our feet here the locals are going to be sensible about this whole thing.

15th March 2020 we went for a family walk in the local forest. It seemed that the whole of the local population had the same idea and that everyone who possessed a bike had taken it out for a ride (more about that later).

16th March 2020 the president announced he would address the nation at 20:00 local time. Off I go to the local shop in the afternoon leaving the little one with her Mum. Well my hope we are in a sensible community is dashed there was feck all left on the shelves. I was not really after anything the trip was just a case of idol curiosity. The attestation forms (yes there are two different ones, this is France after all) come in to effect.

!9th March 2020 a change in what you can do while you are out. You are only allowed 2Km from home exercising and only for twenty mins, no cycling at all, no going to the park and the most unusual not allowed in to the forest

20th March 2020 the local shop, doctors and chemist are still open but on a new set of opening hours. The shelves have been restocked. Life is carrying on pretty much as it ever did. Though both the wife and child now have temps in the 38s with cold like symptoms. Joy... Still little lady will be four tomorrow.
Interesting to hear it from the other side of the Channel. I have friends elsewhere in France where the locals were far less restrained and emptied the stores quite early on. I hope you all are okay and that the Lil Ones birthday tomorrow is still, somehow, excellent.

The advice is crap as well

Told us that theres no need to wear anything other than a facemask and plastic gloves - So I took that advice as a result Ive just been banned from carrefour -

Apparently clothes are required as well

Told us that theres no need to wear anything other than a facemask and plastic gloves - So I took that advice as a result Ive just been banned from carrefour -

Should have fashioned a bollocks covering from a glove, gone back in and tested second responses.

Unless you live in Cap d'Agde....

Italy - Region of Veneto - Update (I know it's not France, but it's mainland Europe and may be interesting)

From today, 20 April, March (edited - quarantine or old age is getting to me)
all shops still allowed to open, including food shops, to close on Sundays.
cycle tracks out of bounds to pedestrians, and only to be used by cyclists who have a proven reason to be away from home.
all exercise, walks and dog walking to be done within 200 metres of home
public benches in streets and parks out of bounds
public parks, gardens and open spaces out of bounds
urban vegetable gardens, orchards and allotments out of bounds

All these new measures in addition to the already restrictive existing measures.

We're now in our ninth day of quarantine, and people stuck at home with 3 screaming kids are going mad, as are those, stuck at home, who have already lost their incomes and their jobs, or are about to lose them.

There is talk now that this situation may continue until late May or even June, and it is highly unlikely the schools will re-open until September.

The only consolation is there really has been no panic buying. The shops and supermarkets remain well stocked.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA

Hope your wee one is a bit better for her birthday tomorrow, as well as her mummy. 'Tis not much fun having an ill kid in the house, for them or you.

Deserter

On ROPS
On ROPs

Do you speak French?.

I hope your 'demoiselles are only down with a seasonal cold and get well soon. Bon chance.

Theres a mounting suspicion that were about to embark on an Italian style lock down as too many people are flouting the rules
There has been some really heart wrenching calls to some talk shows (RMC, les grandes gueules) on the radio by nurses who say "you do not fcucking realize what is happening; stop being cnuts, just stay indoors; we are starting to see our colleagues die, we are at the stage where we have to choose who to treat because of the sheer number of cases...."this has a tendency to focus the minds of those who still think it's a bad flu.

Latest Threads