An end to speed cameras?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FluffyBunny, Aug 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. European Court of Human Rights challenge to Section 172 coming up on 27th Sept.

More details here

2. Fantastic!!!

About bloody time as well.

After seeing various footballers (Colimore?) get off with high prices soliciters using that loop hole I tried it!

It bloody worked, but I got stung for 3 points for not filling in the fekkin NIP correctly instead.

Still, better than a ban!!!

3. Normally I'd say the law was mad. But in this instance it would work in all our favour so instead I say 'hoorah'. But, the Govt. will come up with a cleverererer money making thingamyjig, so watch out.

4. The one on the way in to Harefield got torched last weekend. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. Im no lover of speed cameras but some are placed where they are needed.

A section of the A36 between Southampton & Salisbury has seen a huge reduction in fatalities & serious injuries due to two Gatso's being positioned there.

6. msr

msr LE

MM,

I don't think anyone minds speed / red-light cameras at locations with a proven accident rate - for the others there's always http://www.iam.org.uk or Polish number plates (£30 fine, no points)

msr

7. quite a few are sited where there are no obvious need for a camera, it seems to me , that west midland Wolverhampton are etc are really bad, some roads have a gatso every mile or so. some red light cameras are not painted Yellow, be warned.

all this does is to elevate suspicions that it sa cash generating machine and will only erode public trust and confidence in the Police.

8. It will lead to an increase in Truvelo Speed Cameras

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Truvelo

[​IMG]
    Truvelo Speed Cameras
    The forward facing Truvelo camera system is designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle. This allows the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well. In countries such as Switzerland, Germany and the Scandinavian countries driver recognition is a required factor to enable a successful prosecution of a speed or red light offence.

A single front photograph, taken just after the vehicle has crossed the piezo sensors used for speed measurement, includes all the secondary check information required.

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver.

Pictured above; a forward facing Truvelo speed camera, sometimes referred to as a 'pink eye'.

These are becoming increasingly more used, especially with recent cases where the registered owner of a vehicle has disputed that he/she was not driving the vehicle at the time of the speeding offence. This system offers evidence as to the identity of the driver at the time of the offence.

9. I often ride a motorcycle, so I approve of forward facing Truevelos...

10. Direct Action?

[​IMG]

nuke 'em from orbit. it's the only way to be sure

11. YES ! one dead, 999 more to go

12. I have a speed camera right outside my house...

13. destroy it now, go on you know you want to :D

14. I'm really amazed there hasn't been some of sort of crusading "Camera Destroyer" ever. If one was to embark on such a pursuit, I reckon they'd quickly become a national hero in a Robin Hood sort of way!

15. I had a barny with the Hants Saftey Camera Partnership over a Truevelo in Southampton last year.

I was on my 125 and the bloody thing flashed me at 27mph when the speed limit was 30mph. I did not care as I have no front plate but it was obviousley faulty for going off under the limit. What about some bugger in a car!.

They e-mailed me war & peace on the calibration of the cameras and at the bottom said " We suspect it had been vandalised!" It took them 3 days to reply so I wonder how many motorist were snapped under the limit???.