An Edgy Calm in Fallujah

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

FALLUJAH, IRAQ – “You're probably safer here than you are in New York City,” said Marine First Lieutenant Barry Edwards when I arrived in Fallujah. I raised my eyebrows at him skeptically. “How many people got shot at last night in New York City?” he said.

“Probably somebody,” I said.

“Yeah, probably somebody did,” he said. “Somewhere.”

Nobody was shot last night in Fallujah. No American has been shot anywhere in Fallujah since the 3rd Battalion 5th Marine Regiment rotated into the city two months ago. There have been no rocket or mortar attacks since the summer. Not a single of the 3/5 Marines has even been wounded.

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001542.html

msr

2. Any cemetery is even 'calmer'.

3. I'm not so sure. This cemetery in Chechnya seems to have done very good business.

[​IMG]

4. That is good news for them. The true success can only be measured when they reduce troop numbers. Quiet does not mean that nothing is happening. Lets hope that the yocals enjoy the outbreak of peace and get used to it.
    Worryingly, NYC is safer than a town slightly east of Gloucester statisticly, does this mean that my home town is more dangerous than Fallujah?

5. Something happened in NYC in the 90s under Giuliani and the reasons argued ever since. Crime was legendary in the 70/80s when I first visited. By the time I returned in the mid-90s it had done a phenomenal turn around. Cops on walking beats, safe downtown (relatively), plummeting crime rates and few panhandlers.

6. And Milltown had its moments too.

7. msr

msr LE

Like this you mean?

The Marines have an extra 1,000 troops in the Fallujah area this year, but they aren't in the city. There are far fewer Marines here now than there were.

“We went from having 3,000 Marines in the city last year to down around 300 now,” the lieutenant said. “Maybe 250.”

msr

8. Hardly a cemetry. These figures are from 2006 (14x months after Op PHANTOM FURY). I understand that it has increased considerably since then.

http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?reportid=26215

9. [quote="Virgil]
    Crime was legendary in the 70/80s when I first visited. By the time I returned in the mid-90s it had done a phenomenal turn around. Cops on walking beats, safe downtown (relatively), plummeting crime rates and few panhandlers.[/quote]

Guilliani had nothing to do with it....here's the proof

JOTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1NiNKwueE

10. First couple times I read that as An Eggy Calm in Fallujah. Christ I'm hungry, I think my subconcious is trying to tell me something. Time for a banjo I believe. :)

11. Who lives in a cemetery anyway?