An aviation question for stab23

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by The-Lord-Flasheart, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stab23...or is it loopy21? Anyway, as promised, heres another aviation related question. Do you hold a CPL or an ATPL?
  2. Any chance for a short briefing on the background to the question for the uninitiated?
    (I got the popcorn, beer, even a cornetto for cuddles...)
    Thanks in advance.
  3. aaah, cheers, I'll be back - will try and catch up. Make yourself comfortable in the meanwhile.
  4. Just search through any of the walts posts and it will be obvious ;-)
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I suspect that the site may have seen the last of that particular ex SAS (V) trooper and all-round super pilot.

Now since I know the square root of sod all about flying, I'll piss off out of the aviation forum; a course of action that stab/loopy sadly failed to take.
  6. stab23? Where are you mate? You've gone really quiet all of a sudden.
  7. Let it go mate. You'll be getting him after school next.
  8. In his absence, may I ask. Why don't helichopper pitots have ejeculation seats? genuine question like?.............:)
  9. He really was a flippin' tube. Trouble is, he's a boomerang walt and chances are he'll be back.
  10. It's always fun watching stuff like this. Show no mercy and take no quarter, and rightly so.
  11. There used to be a guy in my unit that claimed he was a comercial pilot (but worked as an HGV driver) who later transfered to the SAS(R) as an attached MT guy who would claim to us he was badged shame he forgot about the other 2 guys that transfered with him, I wonder if its the same bloke (later turned out he wasnt a qualifed pilot either)
  12. Don't you try that "smoke and mirrors" stuff on us, green slime. :)
  13. I will admit I enjoyed the forensic dissection of stab, in spite of his spirited defence, in the face of the full onslaught of M'sieu Flash. That technical stuff was waaay over my swede though. It reminded me of the fly on a train scenario. Is it flying at 7 mph or 70 mph? Relative speeds or summink. That's why I ended up a thick plod.
  14. Think about it ;-)

No, in all seriousness a few types have been fitted with bang seats. The Russian KA50 for example. Quite a complex system of escape though. On pulling the handle, the sequence firstly initiates explosive charges on the rotor blade pins and the blades then fuck off (if this didnt happen and you had an upward firing seat, it could get messy) then after this, the seat sequence occurs as per a normal escape system.

The reasons why you dont see these systems routinely fitted to helicopters is as follows;

1. Cost. Very expensive to develop and fit.
    2. Complexity. See above and you can imagine the safety systems required to ensure the blades dont inadvertently depart when you dont want them to.
    3. Weight. Helicopters are very inefficient when it comes to using power because when below translational lift speeds, the whole cab is defying gravity by sole use of the power of the engines. To this end, the aircaft need to be as light as possible. Ejection systems are rather bulky items (rough weight of a seat is about 150kgs). Add in to that a reinforced cockpit floor and various other gubbins to support and fire the seat and you've just added a whole hunk of weight to the aircraft.
    4. Military helicopters tend to fly low level. An escape system would need to be able to react very quickly and also assure that when the crew banged out, they were ejected in to a safe direction/orientation. If you're operating below 200' typically, tactical flying, you're asking a hell of a lot for the system.
    5. It is a far better bet to not crash.
    6. It is far better to stay with the aircraft if you do crash. Far easy/cheaper/practical to build an aircraft that is battle worthy and crash worthy. Make it so its not so susceptible to be taken down and if it does get taken down, build it so its able to crash safely. Equip the crew with seats that dive and stroke and absorb the crash forces and also make sure the impact is graduated by being absorbed by undercarriage, fuselage etc. A bit like the crash zones on new cars.
    7. Ejection systems were developed because the speed of jets started to increase considerably post war. Conventional methods of bailing out didnt work so a system needed to be developed to get the crew away from the aircraft. In a helicopter, the max speed tends to be less than 160 knots so the issue of separating crew from cab isnt required.