An answer to why we are in Afganistan?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by tiny_recy_mac, Jul 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Afghanistan minerals fully mapped

'Afghanistan is known to have vast reserves of oil, gas, copper, cobalt, gold and lithium...the Afghan ministry of mines claimed a value of its reserves of nearly a trillion dollars'

And here was me thinking it was all about the poor Afgans
  2. You are confusing us with the Chinese, there's no prospect of this being exploited in the short term, the logistical commitment would be huge. We stumbled in in pursuit of AQ with no grander strategic purpose, then mistook the place for Kosovo.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Is your nickname lightbulb???

P.S. The Chinese have already started plumbing in the north when building roads.
  4. No, but I have been refered to as trigger the odd time, no idea what thats about?

I had always heard rumours that Afgan did have some useful products but this caught my eye because it was a US company hired by the US DoD with some token help fom the Afgan government that it was maybe pointing towards the US' intensions.
  5. The Afghan Ministry of Mines...Ministry of Mines

Mineral Tenders:

I dont go in with the tin foil hat wearing Conspiracy Theorists (although is a gold mine of paranoia no doubt with 95% of its contributors American (no offenseJJH)).

But I just cant help think how much Afghanistan has come on since our invasion, a quick review of their websites and I am amazed by the lack of mention that its a war zone when inviting tenders.

But that aside, its not the reason we invaded, what exactly do you think the US will do with Afghan gas?

No, what this does is get big companies from around the world to invest in the country and once gold, lithium and gas are worth more than poppies, and BP, Rio Tinto, Conoco Phillips are paying more than the Taliban, then the corporates will pay for security, the Allies can go home and Capitalism will turn Afghanistan into a contributing country providing to the demands of the developed world.

Its the only exit strategy unless you can committ to pumping $20bn a year into every warlords pocket. Not a reason to invade, its the only way out with a potential of winning.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. All good & well, but what will the British Legion do every Remembrance Day if they cease production?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Easy to do. Feral-looking types, dealing drugs, fake VDs', and people abound in both places. Thought the lack of leather jackets in Afg might have given the game away though!
  8. We never goto Waer unless it is secure commodities or trade routes or both. Gas, oil, gold etc. Got nothing to do with the Afghans. It's insulting when the Government try to make us believe their utter bullshit. Every war we fight in is about making m oney one way or the other. And War is big business.
  9. If only that were so! You are mistaking our governments for able, calculating strategists.
  10. Like the Chinese.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. This was covered in New Scientist about six months-or-so back. Apparently, it has been suspected for decades about the possibility of the region being a good source of rare-earth types needed for things like silicon chips and stuff. But it has been pretty hard to be certain and exploit, due to the lack of stable government in the area. Part of the article described how team of US geologists were flown into a survey site by the US Marines. The article said that Afghanistan has some of the richest rare-earth mineral reserves in the world. It finished with a comment that several major US, Chinese and, IIRC Indian, mining companies were already bidding for mining rights. The writer avoided any hint that of a connection between the US lead military operations there and the possibility of tapping humongous riches.
  12. Well that failed rather spectacularly, the Iraqis maintained the nationalization of the wells and only allowed big oil in as sub-contrators, drastically suppressing profits. If you recall Iraqi oil was meant to pay for Iraqi reconstruction. Production has only recently reached pre-war levels and our main strategic concern is steady supply. Oil prices soared, supply stuttered, does this look like a happy story:

It was the Russians and Chinese that rushed in to do the early development. In Rumaila Baghdad shagged BP down from $4 a barrel to $2, Exxon, which bid about a dollar more than BP, walked way in disgust. A decade later we've got **** all to show for it in terms of juicy profits, poor old Exxon is still stuck between the squabbling Kurds and Baghdad over Kirkuk.

The war is estimated to cost the US tax payer several trillion dollars. The smart money in the US oil majors always thought it was sheer foolishness.
    • Like Like x 1

13. Do you actually talk/sound how you write?
  14. If you mean the Chinese are able calculating strategists you'd be right, so are the Iranians.

If you mean they think we're are able calculating strategists, that would be off the mark, they think we're half wits. The Iranians are actually on record as regarding the Iraq invasion as an act of Allah induced madness.