Amyas Godfrey on Sky News

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FNUSNU, May 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Amyas Godfrey is the head of the UK Armed Forces Programme in the Military Sciences Department at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies. The guy is an ex Capt with The Royal Welch Fusiliers. He was going on abou the lack of helos, saying he had 3 to a Bde, wereas the yanks had 3 per Bn. He said we should be flying not driving around. That's no good for maintaining a presences on the ground and winning hearts and minds is it? What do you think?

http://www.rusi.org/about/staff/ref:A41F0F055555AA/

2. The US use helos so much as it reduces the road moves they need for people and supplies, hence reducing their susceptibility to ambush, IEDs and so on. It fixes a symptom. And if I was in Iraq I'd choose flying over driving any day.

However, it cedes the ground to the enemy. It reinforces the enemy propaganda that the US are scared of fighting, that they are cowards who hide behind machines and fences. It allows the enemy to dominate the battlespace and the local population. It means "Iraqi forces" can be infiltrated and coerced by militias in the absence of US observers.

But as the US are unwilling to commit enough troops to do the job to Iraq they don't have much choice. Their attitude "It's a war ! But we don't need the draft, tax rises, changes to the economy or any other changes whatsoever from peacetime to win it" baffles me.

3. 'Shock and Awe' seemed to indicate otherwise