• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Amy Winehouse statue unveiled

A statue of Amy Winehouse - really? I can't help thinking when watching this on the news that it's more about keeping her Dads profile high, rather than commemorating her own. As for the statue, it reminds me of the alien bint in Mars Attacks! or the sort of tat that defiles cemeteries around the world.
So, what do you reckon? Is it a candidate to occupy the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square, or should it have remained under wraps?

Amy Winehouse.jpg

Not hurting anyone is it? And it has more current relevance than half the statues of people form 200 years ago that are dotted around the towns.

I also really like her music, she was pretty special in the recording studio. Just a crying shame that her so called friends and her lifestyle were so shite.

I thought something more like this piece of modern art would have been more appropriate.

So we're having statues of junky pop stars who have suffered premature deaths because they haven't got the common sense to at least indulge with some moderation erected now.

Holy crap!

London's gonna be littered with the things now!

So we're having statues of junky pop stars who have suffered premature deaths because they haven't got the common sense to at least indulge with some moderation erected now.

Holy crap!

London's gonna be littered with the things now!
It's the modern way apparently. :roll:

I also really like her music, she was pretty special in the recording studio. Just a crying shame that her so called friends and her lifestyle were so shite.
Not arguing with that point, but her musical career was pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things and the point you make at the end of the sentence, in my opinion, is a driving factor in the erection of this statue. I'll give it a couple of months until it is surrounded with drink cans, bottles etc, similar to the previous shrine.

I do not hate any musicians, dead or alive, except Bono of course. I didn't say the needles had anything to do with her death, it was just for a bit of fun.

I for one applaud the celebration of vanity, promiscuity, crack and heroin! It gives the kids something to aspire to! The compelling knowledge that if they really squander their talent and truly live like a spoiled cunt they, one day, may be immortalised in pig iron after they have choked on there own vomit! Bravo!

A statue for someone more famous for her lifestyle and junkie boyfriend, and how she died, than her (to my mind) considerably overrated vocal ability. Pointless, but harmless.

How long before the "taken too soon" tributes start to appear?

It will have been nicked by scrap metal hunting pikeys by Saturday.

:) @Skunkmiester - if I took all the alcoholics, junkies, crack fiends and dope smokers out of my music collection I wouldn't have a music collection. I would have to go out and buy Cliff Richards discography, errh, hang on a minute, ummm.

Not the worst statue I've seen of a dead rock star. It likely will be a magnet for drink cans and crap floral tributes in the future. Probably not plinth-worthy though.

That statue makes her look like an ugly, under-nourished, tarted up scrone who is looking to find her next score.

Whatever was the sculptor thinking of? Real-life is not art.

As for the statue, it reminds me of the alien bint in Mars Attacks! or the sort of tat that defiles cemeteries around the world.
Stone me! was it sculpted by the same 'artist' who immortalised Harold 'Dickie' Bird?

At least Dickie's should do a good job of scaring the delinquents away.