Amputee Questions

Good day fellow ARRSE folks

Ill get to the point,I've recently been amputated below the knee on one leg thanks to an IED funnily enough.Off to headley soon and all that good stuff and should probably wait till then to ask however I've been sat at home for two weeks now and something has been racking my brain,and having heard various story's from others i thaught I'd try here.

Please bear in mind I'm not after a "My mate dan heard from his mate smudge that this guy so and so did this" answer.

Are you aware of any amputees that returned to operations in a CAT 3 CAT 2+ role ie gone out patrolling in the Green Zone getting amongst it?

Also do any of the firms doing PSD/CP/maritime security stuff have any Amputees working for them?

Thanks

Welcome to the club mate! Take it you are a signed up member of BLESMA? There have been a couple of articles in Blesmag about guys returning to active service after below knee amputation so it has happened, but probably fairly rare event. Outside the wire companies will employ you for security work provided you maintain your fitness levels and show you still have ability. Bit different I know, but I lost my left leg below knee whilst clearing landmines for a commercial company and went back to work after an 8 month break (would have been earlier but I had a house to renovate). I know of at least five amputees still working in the clearance game, 4 below knee, one right arm above elbow. PM me if you need advice on anything relating to life after amputation ... can't claim to know all the answers but I've lived with it for over ten years now.

Thanks
No I've not joined BLESMA yet I assume I'll see them at Headley as that seems to be the crack with most organisations like that if not ill get in touch.

I know guys who are missing bits have returned to Bastion and other FOBs but have any returned to theatre doing all the good shit like advancing to contact,Barmering,HAFing and generally causing Terry a headache.

Thanks for the heads up on the private circuit

Thanks
No I've not joined BLESMA yet I assume I'll see them at Headley as that seems to be the crack with most organisations like that if not ill get in touch.

I know guys who are missing bits have returned to Bastion and other FOBs but have any returned to theatre doing all the good shit like advancing to contact,Barmering,HAFing and generally causing Terry a headache.

Thanks for the heads up on the private circuit
Couldn't say whether they were charging about mit bayonet fixed or doing a less active job as all the Blesmag articles alluded to was back on active service.

BLESMA will get you when you are at Headley. make sure you join, they will assist you with your claims/entitlements/prosthetic needs. And in the future you will be eligible for all the fun activities. I got back from the Red Sea on Sunday after a weeks scuba diving (my fourth year on the trip) and last year went to Colorado white water rafting. Lots of rehab events from skiing, sailing, scuba diving, parachuting to golf, horse riding and fishing ... something for everyone. Oh, and not to mention the Buck House garden parties, free tickets to Twickenham for internationals and other grand events!

You might not want to soldier on after your minor skin irritation has been rehabilitated. You will be entitled to receive GIP, but only once you have left service, as well as an immediate pension. There will be lots of help retraining and finding a suitable job. You might just find it better to leave.

You might not want to soldier on after your minor skin irritation has been rehabilitated. You will be entitled to receive GIP, but only once you have left service, as well as an immediate pension. There will be lots of help retraining and finding a suitable job. You might just find it better to leave.
Interesting
If you are receiving GIP and immediate pension can you still work?

Interesting
If you are receiving GIP and immediate pension can you still work?
Yes and the GIP/Pension is tax free so you won't be penalised by taxation in your wages.

As lower single limb you'll probably receive 30% GIP. If you were on 24k a year now that would mean approximately £7200 per year tax free.

No idea on the British army and I'm a civvy to boot so feel free to tell me to **** off as appropriate, but I did see a video on youtube recently regarding the septics where leg amputees are returning to frontline combat roles, I can't link it at work but if you search "bionic soldiers" on youtube its the first video that pops up, shows a few chaps on prosthetic legs going through weapons training and such so they can get back out there. Seems the right way to go for those who want to!

Couldn't say whether they were charging about mit bayonet fixed or doing a less active job as all the Blesmag articles alluded to was back on active service.

BLESMA will get you when you are at Headley. make sure you join, they will assist you with your claims/entitlements/prosthetic needs. And in the future you will be eligible for all the fun activities.
I got back from the Red Sea on Sunday after a weeks scuba diving (my fourth year on the trip) and last year went to Colorado white water rafting. Lots of rehab events from skiing, sailing, scuba diving, parachuting to golf, horse riding and fishing ... something for everyone. Oh, and not to mention the Buck House garden parties, free tickets to Twickenham for internationals and other grand events!
You couldn't help me hack my leg off could you? Been trying to get Twickers tickets for ages.

BLESMA will get you when you are at Headley. make sure you join, they will assist you with your claims/entitlements/prosthetic needs. And in the future you will be eligible for all the fun activities. I got back from the Red Sea on Sunday after a weeks scuba diving (my fourth year on the trip) and last year went to Colorado white water rafting. Lots of rehab events from skiing, sailing, scuba diving, parachuting to golf, horse riding and fishing ... something for everyone. Oh, and not to mention the Buck House garden parties, free tickets to Twickenham for internationals and other grand events!

Are you sure you're not advertising female sanitary products?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Seems the right way to go for those who want to!
I know nowt about losing body parts and count myself lucky to say that. But as a fairly honest Brit tax payer I'd say yeah, make it so.

Yes and the GIP/Pension is tax free so you won't be penalised by taxation in your wages.

As lower single limb you'll probably receive 30% GIP. If you were on 24k a year now that would mean approximately £7200 per year tax free.
Fair one
Iif I had a minimum wage job on civvy street with Pension and GIP it be better off financially than I would staying in.Food for thaught indeed as I'm sure it is for everybody in the same shoes/shoe

Thanks
I reckon you've got maybe 3 - 6 months to get fit again - all that kind of stuff will be gone in the next couple of HERRICK rotations. The general buzz is that we'll begin billy-big stepping away from Afg mid-13, leaving a huge Logs presence to bring stuff back and some people to carry out an OLMT type function. Pound to a pinch of shit the political settlement will include significant negotiation with 'Terry', thus anything beyond self-defence of the Logs withdrawal will probably not be politically acceptable.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially dull news.

This is the video I was on about. (I'm all in one piece, I just happened to have my interest sparked on prosthetics etc the other week after talking to someone who has them)
[video=youtube;52tFxg0O_bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52tFxg0O_bs[/video]

Quite an old article, and indeed not injured on ops, but this might be of some interest.

One-legged hero is on front line | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys

THIS hero squaddie is the first one-legged British soldier to fight on the front line in more than 100 years.
Cpl Barry Whale told surgeons to cut off his limb after shattering his foot in a training accident.
He fought for four years to regain full military fitness — and has now completed a tour in Afghanistan.
The infantryman, 28, was one of just 24 who fought off 400 Taliban fanatics in an epic three-week action dubbed the Siege of Roshan Tower.
Cpl Whale, who joined the 2nd Battalion, the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment aged 16, fell 30ft from a rock face in Bosnia eight years ago.

Walkabout ... Barry meets with a local
JON BOND
He had nine operations on his foot, but doctors said it would always hurt to walk. Finally, after four frustrating years, he asked for an amputation.
Two weeks after the op he was walking unaided, and three months later he went mountaineering in Scotland.
ch
He re-joined his battalion as a medic in the Regimental Aid Post and deployed to Afghanistan in June after sailing through tough fitness tests.
The squaddie was at the Roshan Tower — a vital outpost the size of a tennis court near Musa Qala, Helmand — when it came under intense attack.
Cpl Whale was forced to do the job of any other infantryman as the platoon needed every gun it could get.
Enemy fighters got within a few hundred yards during a relentless onslaught — but astonishingly just one British soldier was wounded.
mpu
Barry’s prosthetic leg let him down only once — coming off as he dived into a bunker to escape a mortar. But another soldier threw it after him.
The brave amputee, from Southampton, said: “Everyone thought it was hilarious, but I was gutted.”
Speaking at Senelager Training Centre in Germany, he added: “I’m really proud to have been part of it. You can still serve with only got one leg.
“I don’t look at myself as disabled — just slightly less abled now and then.”
Historians say the last amputees to see combat were in Victorian times.
An MoD spokesman said last night: “His unwavering commitment to the Army is an example of everything that is great about British troops.”

B

bokkatankie

Having given one leg to your country I, personally, think you have done enough, going back and potentailly losing more bits or your life is at odds with a level of common sense.

However, each to their own and good luck to you. Modern legs are already so much better than just 10 or 15 years ago but rememeber you cannot keep it on forever and when it is off unless you are happy to hop into battle it takes time to put back on again.

Your stump will be reducing for at least 2 years mine is still reducing 10 years after my accident. In hot conditions a stump stuck in a silicone liner is a fast breeding ground for infections, especially if your stump is not a straight forward cut and stitch job.

Give yourself time and enjoy finding out what you can do but bear in mind that every single amputee has a very different recovery and adaption period.