Amputee Private Matt Woollard plans return to fight Taliban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    August 9, 2009
    Amputee Private Matt Woollard plans return to fight Taliban
    Michael Smith

Private Matt Woollard
    A BRITISH soldier who had part of his leg blown off by a landmine is preparing to return to Afghanistan to settle “unfinished business” with the Taliban.

Private Matt Woollard, 20, is expected to be the first British infantryman to return to the front line after being fitted with a prosthetic limb.

Woollard, a member of 1st Battalion, the Royal Anglian Regiment, lost his lower right leg after setting off an insurgent bomb while on patrol near Kajaki in May 2007. His heart stopped three times while he was receiving treatment.

“I want to get back and do what I was sent to Afghanistan to do in 2007 — take the fight to the Taliban,” Woollard told The Sunday Times.
    More
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6788799.ece

2. I met Matt last year skiing with BLESMA. He's a top bloke with unbelievable reserves of courage and determination, like so many others who are going through what he is going through. Tpr Steve Shine (potential winter paralympian) and Gdsm Scott Blainey (back on public duties) for example.

Good luck to you Matt - we're rIsing a glass to you and if you read this them pm me and we'll catch up.

3. Good drills that man.

4. I thought someone from PWRR did this exact thing? I'm sure it was in Soldier magazine, he mentioned it was a bit of a giggle his prosthetic leg came off during a contact.

All the same, fair play to that man.

5. Unbelievably brave. Fair play to him and my hat is off to him.

6. Hear hear

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Just finished reading a book about 3 paras return to helmand last year, and there is mention of a cpl who had lost his lower leg, now returned to afg as part of the battle group int cell.

The others mentioned, have they returned as part of a fighting element, or support?

I also remember reading that one of the US Corps in Desert Storm was a leg amputee, lost his leg in Viet Nam.

Hats off to all, i hope i would have the same grit and courage if it happened to me.