Amputee para regains independence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Napoleon_Bunnyparte, Jun 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. L/Cpl Tom Neathway lost three limbs in an explosion
    A paratrooper who learnt to walk again after losing three limbs in a bomb has spoken of his joy at regaining his independence by moving into a new home.

Lance Corporal Tom Neathway, 25, of Crowle, Worcestershire, was injured by a booby trap bomb in Kajaki, Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in July 2007.

He woke up three days later in Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham.

L/Cpl Neathway has learnt to walk using prosthetic limbs and has gone skiing since his injury.

He was filmed by the BBC using a sitski - a wheelchair without the wheels - in the Bavarian Alps.

Hospital environment

The member of 2 Para was able to stand to receive his campaign medal from Prince Charles and walk to his chair in December.

He said he saw the challenges facing him as another of "life's tests".

After living with his parents since being released from hospital he has now moved into a bungalow.

He said: "Having to move back to my parents house was great when I first was injured and getting away from that hospital environment.

"But now to be in my own place again it's great to be just able to do what I want."

Its is so easy in life today to hear people bad mouthing the "yoof" and thinking all young men are hoodies and tearaways but thank God those scum are a only a small percentage.

This lads a absolute hero in the true sense of the word. His interview on the BBC website is wonderful.

2. [He said he saw the challenges facing him as another of "life's tests".

After living with his parents since being released from hospital he has now moved into a bungalow.

He said: "Having to move back to my parents house was great when I first was injured and getting away from that hospital environment.

"But now to be in my own place again it's great to be just able to do what I want."

Its is so easy in life today to hear people bad mouthing the "yoof" and thinking all young men are hoodies and tearaways but thank God those scum are a only a small percentage.(Quote)

Hear! Hear!

(Quote)This lads a absolute hero in the true sense of the word. His interview on the BBC website is wonderful.[/quote]

Makes ones own little 'problems' pale into total insignificance,doesn't it? :salut:

3. Makes ones own little 'problems' pale into total insignificance,doesn't it? :salut:[/quote]

Just what one would expect from the Paras. No can do is not in their vocab. :salut:

4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

You young man are an inspiration to us all.

Well done and good luck for the future.

Airborne !!!

5. I think the whole 'can do' attitude extends to all of our amputees and other wounded and not just those with a Parachute Regt capbadge.

Heroes all!

6. I was having a shit morning until i read that, now i have **** all to moan about. The way a lot of amputees just get on with the job is an inspiration hats off to you fella

7. Does kind of give you a better outlook on life. I hear people at my works moaning about this and that and things that to all purposes are trivial.

Next time one feels rough it might not be to bad a thing to reflect on ones blessings......as for the other moaners bollocks to them!

8. L/Cpl Neathway was evacuated from theatre whilst I was out there last year. His story provoked a lot of discussion, particularly amongst my lads who helped load him on to the aircraft for his return flight. Most of the discussion focussed on the "What would you do if..." line of reasoning and came up with some very bleak responses. I am delighted that he is making such progress, an experience like that could have destroyed a lesser man; there is hope for anyone severely injured on Ops.

9. I hope they cut down his time for his next 30 miler, cnut's got an unfair advantage.

Well done him.

10. Fantastic news but just wait for some TWATT from the Government start to reduce his disability allowance as he is now mobile. :?

11. Great news lad, good luck for the future.
    Truly an inspiration

12. A good mate of mine was his CVO last year from the start to this day I believe, a very hard job by all accounts.
    He told me after every visit he would use the anti bacterial cream to wash his hands as a piss take with tom. One day Toms mum ask him why he did this after leaving the room. Paul the lad who was CVO would look all confused and point at Tom and say "because he's Ginger" :D

Told he was always up beat and just wanted to get back to the job even at such a early point in his situation.
    A lesson to others. :wink: