Ammunition Technician

mr2801

Crow
Hi all,

Was wondering on the actual realistic role of an Ammo Tech. I'm a female, very keen to be in the 'thick of it', and am currently considering Ammo Tech, STA Patrols, CMT or Infantry, having ruled out officer entry. I worry that this role won't have the variety of a more combat and practical job, but bomb disposal appeals to me a lot. 1. Does anyone know much about the day to day of an Ammo Tech? 2. What's the timescale of training in Bomb Disposal, is it particularly competitive?

Thanks! (looking forward to being bullied senseless..)

There are former AT's on here and they will doubtless get back to you soon. In the meantime can I point out that many jobs that have an inherently dangerous, life risking element are often subject to a shrink's interview and assessment. I personally would not mention the bomb disposal element of the job until it is bought up and then I would only say that I found it technically interesting and not "appealing". Makes you look a bit of an adrenaline junkie, and they don't like those in dangerous jobs* because they worry about the Families Officer having to go and visit your mum and dad to tell them you have karked it. Think about it.

Other than that I wish you the best of luck.

Note: * Plenty of adrenaline junkies out there, they just don't advertise it to the shrink.

Hi all,

Was wondering on the actual realistic role of an Ammo Tech. I'm a female, very keen to be in the 'thick of it', and am currently considering Ammo Tech, STA Patrols, CMT or Infantry, having ruled out officer entry. I worry that this role won't have the variety of a more combat and practical job, but bomb disposal appeals to me a lot. 1. Does anyone know much about the day to day of an Ammo Tech? 2. What's the timescale of training in Bomb Disposal, is it particularly competitive?

Thanks! (looking forward to being bullied senseless..)
If you're looking forward to being bullied senseless you've brought along the first and most important thing, a sense of humour.

Have a chat with @dingerr. If you follow along in his shoes you won't go far wrong.

If you're looking forward to being bullied senseless you've brought along the first and most important thing, a sense of humour.

Have a chat with @dingerr. If you follow along in his shoes you won't go far wrong.
Yes, about 50ft behind!

Mufulira

Old-Salt
There are former AT's on here and they will doubtless get back to you soon. In the meantime can I point out that many jobs that have an inherently dangerous, life risking element are often subject to a shrink's interview and assessment. I personally would not mention the bomb disposal element of the job until it is bought up and then I would only say that I found it technically interesting and not "appealing". Makes you look a bit of an adrenaline junkie, and they don't like those in dangerous jobs* because they worry about the Families Officer having to go and visit your mum and dad to tell them you have karked it. Think about it.

Note: * Plenty of adrenaline junkies out there, they just don't advertise it to the shrink.
One of my colleagues, andIrish lad inthe short space of 6 months was involved in a lab explosion terminating 6 others, a car crash and and an accidental backing up of company car into the river, was seriously questioned by the Coy shrink if 'he had a death wish' -- No answer!

Troy

LE
One of my colleagues, andIrish lad inthe short space of 6 months was involved in a lab explosion terminating 6 others, a car crash and and an accidental backing up of company car into the river, was seriously questioned by the Coy shrink if 'he had a death wish' -- No answer!
Somewhat of a stereotype then. Even at Hogwarts the Irish are oft' portrayed with the tendency of making stuff go BANG!

mr2801

Crow

Noted, thanking you muchly! Makes sense they have to get a shrink involved, can only hope I can persuade them in to letting me do something remotely ‘interesting’.

As an ex RE bomb disposal person I’d like to point out to the OP that AT do not spend all of their time doing bomb disposal. Most of their time (over the space of a career) might be spent managing the storage of ammunition.

I’m not trying to turn this into a cap badge rivalry thing. It’s the same for sapper EOD people, who will also spend most of their time doing non-EOD jobs.

Latest Threads