Ammunition Technical people

Discussion in 'RLC' started by eeepo, Dec 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a recent deployment to a very hot place it seemed to me that ATs rule the 11 Regt roost, why is this and why do ATOs not do anything about it?
  2. Are you looking for a bite?

We are sill part of the general scum that greases the wheels of the train set that Officers play with.
  3. If you have to ask, then you are clearly one of the problem (singular intended).
  4. Could it be because (most) ATs are TECHNICIANS - and know what they are on about, whilst ATOs are TECHNICAL OFFICERS who (Mostly) have limited experience and/or practical knowledge of ammunition? Hence wise and sensible Officers defer to their Senior Ranks/Warrent Officers who have normally seen it/ done it/ read the book and eaten the pies :roll:
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The answer you seek is written in RAOC Stats.
  6. GOOD GOD!!!!!

Please make an effort to find out the training process and level of qualification for an ATO or else do not make public comment that is ill-founded - and wrong! ATOs are highly trained; In most cases more than ATs. However, there is a mutual respect among ATs/ATOs as both officers and ORs put their lives at risk bravely and frequently, and in all manner of operations.

I trust you (Grumpy OG) will make a visit to the AT/ATO memorial, at DM Kineton, to pay your respects to those ATOs who have given their lives to protect and save others.
  7. General Melchett

Is that a bite?

The last ATO I saw that was of any use signed a leave pass for me.
  8. General Melchett

In fact thinking about it.

All the ATO's fresh from training are given the same responsibilty, if not more so, than the SNCO's/WO's. Most of the ones I have met are complete f**tards, lucky to pass the course, let alone do an ATO job for just 2 years before tripping off back to RLC land leaving a trail of destruction behind them for the SNCO's to clear up.

Yes, I've seen the memorial before you start.

9. Hahahahahahaha Nice bite. :lol:

Funny, because I know at least three ex T1 ATs who are now DE ATOs, having attended RCB, RMAS and the ATO course (again). The only difference between AT & ATO training - apart from the fact that the officers do it all in one lump - less RLC IEDD course - is the RMCS phase, where the officers spend 5 or 6 months and the ORs 5 or 6 weeks.

The ex T1 AT ATOs say that subject matter was exactly the same. Admittedly, they spent a bit more time on it and did a project as well, but that's it. The reason they spend more time on the principles is that they move in & out of ammunition/EOD posts, whereas the ORs stay in it their whole career.

However, this may not be the case today, as the RMCS phase for ORs seems to have been 'dumbed down' a bit. Try asking a sprog AT about the Kistiakowsky-Wilson rules for calculating the oxygen balance of explosives from their chemical formulae.

PS. Take a closer look at that memorial. You'll see that over half of the names are of NCOs & WOs. The rest of the army tends to refer to all RAOC/RLC EOD operators as 'ATO', whether they are blessed/cursed with Her Majesty's Commission or not. :wink:
  10. Sangeal, I take great offence at your comments especially as you give me the honour of a quote and then don't use it! I quote " experience and/or practical knowledge of ammunition" when I went to school (Latterly at Kineton) that meant exactly what it says i.e. EXPERIENCE (or been there, done that) PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE (ditto), ATOs normally don't have the time to accquire either, with a few exceptions. As to your personal insult vis-a-vis the memorial, I was there on the openning day and have visited it many times, unfortunately not on the last unveilling (for C M ) due to the fact I was unavailable due to operational commitments, doubly upsetting as we missed the repatriation from theatre due to ops. Just wish I was a fisherman who got as good bites! 8)
  11. General Melchett

Well said GOG.
  12. Visit the Palace Barracks Felix Memorial Garden on-line:

Lest we forget.
  15. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the eagerness here to point at death tolls and memorials as a measure of success or even to be the basis to formulate an arguement upon.

I appreciate that you chaps will know some of those names but with all due respect to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, lets avoid dragging them and memorials to them, into petty tittle tattle.