Ammunition Identification

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by maninblack, Mar 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Going through a bag of pointless crap recovered over the years I found the ammunition shown in this picture. The rounds are bigger than .303 but significantly smaller than .50, they date from WW1 or just before and were found by the hundred scattered inside a wreck from 1917. For sizing purposes I have photographed them next to a 20mm case.

The point that I found very interesting is that they are almost shoulderless. On the bottom they are marked "R L" with the crow's foot/arrow between the two letters.

Has anyone got a clue what calibre they are, what weapon they were for?

Attached Files:

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

martini henri or fusil gras maybe - 19th century tech,
  3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Slip a calliper across the round and gizza clue. There's a world between .303 and .5 =|
  4. According to my ancient and handwritten list of headstamp codes R(crowsfoot)L stood for Royal Laboratories if thats any help. I haven't got a clue about the intended weapon though, sorry
  5. maninblack

I don't have a set of callipers here but I measured with a decent metal ruler and got a width of 12mm or 7/16ths of an inch.

The total length of the cartridge and head is 85mm 3 and 3/8th of an inch
  6. Best guess without the measurements- 11.43 x55R Turkish also known as .45 Turkish Peabody-Martini cartridge.
  7. blue-sophist

Thanks, MIB.
    12mm is a thumper.
  8. blue-sophist

9. maninblack

10. With it being military ammunition try looking for basestamps.

The Royal Laboratory is Woolwich.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. That's what I was thinking. It would be interesting to know more about the ship in which it was recovered. Every bugger under the sun was making that round for the Turkish- Winchester had a go, Eley et al. in the UK.
  12. blue-sophist

That's the Power of ARRSE. One hour to a solution! :numberone:
  13. HE117 hasn't been on yet...
  14. maninblack

It was HMS Sapper, a WW1 armed trawler lost off The Owers near Selsey in unknown circumstances. Looking at the damage amidships she could have hit a large mine but more probably been torpedoed. The bows and stern are intact, the mid area is shredded except for the hull frames.
    • Like Like x 1