'Ammunition depot fire' in Siberia, Russia

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
Quite frankly, apart from their nukes, (a large number of which I've no doubt would not have worked if the day ever came), the world has nothing to fear from the nation of gross incompetents that is Russia.
And yet the Russians cannot get over their belief that NATO wishes to invade. There's quite literally nothing worth invading for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 60082

If it's this place just south of Archinsk then the depot looks like it's in a terrible state to begin with -
Maintained by DIO, by any chance?

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
D

Deleted 60082

I visited Moscow almost 10 years ago when I was attending a foreign staff course. We were hosted by something like the All Russia Peace Institute of Co-Fraternal Relations and briefed by Interior Ministry yes-men. I brought up some WHO stats on life expectancies and working lives of Russian males (if I recall, something like 30% of males cease to be economically active by their mid 40s due to alcoholism) and the apparatchik dismissed the reports as fake news (Or words to that effect, given that fake news had yet to be invented as a term). Friendly diplomats in Moscow believed that the figure was massively understating the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I've told this tale on here before but if retelling it upsets the agitprop baboons...

Decades ago I went on a fortnight touring holiday to what was then the USSR. We started in Moscow, which looking at the state of the buildings and the people wandering about, I thought was, to be blunt, a dump. At breakfast the first morning one of the waiters offered to buy my jeans off me, as did one of the locals when we were wandering about outside the hotel. This local also wanted to buy my watch but when I told him it was a Russian Sekonda he rapidly became disinterested.

We then flew out to Khabarovsk in the Far East and came back west part way on the Trans-Siberian. Spent one night in the foreign tourist hotel in the town and went up to the rooftop bar for some sherberts. Some VERY dodgy looking locals frequenting it but it mattered not as the police came around at 8pm to close it, so an early night for all, given that there was nothing else to do in the town.

The bog on the Trans-Siberian was "flushed" by pressing a pedal on the floor, which simply opened a flap and all the shit and piss just dropped down onto the track. Lovely. The waiters in the dining car wore jackets that once were white - they were now decidedly grubby, looking as though there wasn't a laundry anywhere within a considerable distance. Also lovely. The highlight of the train journey was when we stopped at a station in the middle of nowhere. There was a commotion further along the earthern platform and upon looking out of the train window, I saw two Russian squaddies running towards the noise. As they passed us, one of them was pulling a garrote out of his pocket, presumably to subdue whoever was kicking up a fuss. So civilised.

3 nights later, (no shower on board, so you can imagine the whiff - and we were in the "soft" i.e. 1st, class carriage), we thankfully got off the train in Irkutsk. At one station during the journey we got off to stretch our legs and had a look in the carriages the Russians were in - effectively just rack after rack of wooden shelving for them to sleep on, very very primitive. Spent the night in a hotel that had a bog seat made out of the coarsest chipboard I've ever seen, then flew to a development town (Bratsk?). Walked into a supermarket in the town, took one step in the door and came straight back out, the stench was unbelievable. Spent the night in Bratsk(?) and then back to Moscow before flying onto Leningrad for a few days before flying home.

Those few days in the Soviet Far East made me realise that Moscow, in comparison, wasn't all that bad but only because the SFE was, to be blunt again, more than a bit of a shit hole. Quite how anyone could live their life there if they had even an inkling of what the rest of the world has to offer is beyond me. It's not (quite) the Third World and it's equally NOT the First World either.

An ammo depot going off bang in Russia only surprises me in that it doesn't happen more often.

Quite frankly, apart from their nukes, (a large number of which I've no doubt would not have worked if the day ever came), the world has nothing to fear from the nation of gross incompetents that is Russia.

That was then, This is now. I cannot believe that the russia you experienced, 20+ years ago, has not changed for the better, although I stand to be corrected.

D

Deleted 60082

The big “slap in the face” moment was when Russia tried to invade Georgia during the Beijing Olympics. Although they managed to seize some territory, the Russian forces had their arses handed to them on a plate. Over half the armoured fighting vehicle failed to cross the start line; frontal aviation units spent most the time shooting each other down and the comms was laughable, to say the least. Since then the Russian military has undergone a number of five-year plan transformations; although I understand after half the money allocated is siphoned off through corruption.

Edited for crap speak-write.

And if we move away from the military sphere, there is virtually no foreign direct investment in Russia; anyone who is anyone in Russia offshores all their wealth into places like Cyprus, Qatar, Moldova, London (sanctions notwithstanding...)

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet the Russians cannot get quite over their belief that NATO wishes to invade. There's quite literally nothing worth invading for.
If you're a paranoid Russian; oil & gas. There's a lot of money being made supplying energy to Europe.

Drunk in an industry where a mistake is likely to end up with multiple deaths.

I think that says it all about Russia.
It's an old clip and the back story is that the guy was not actually pissed but suffers from a form of cerebral palsy... which somehow makes it acceptable.

If you're a paranoid Russian; oil & gas. There's a lot of money being made supplying energy to Europe.
You don't really need to be paranoid to believe someone [even heaven forfend Uncle Sam] might invade you for your oil and gas.

That was then, This is now. I cannot believe that the russia you experienced, 20+ years ago, has not changed for the better, although I stand to be corrected.
That was the Soviet Union just about at the height of it's power. Yes, it's different now, a corrupt kleptocracy, with those at the top making absolutely certain they are well off.

So not bent commies running the inefficient show but a different bunch of crooks.

Anybody, what's the crime rate like
There's some comparison charts:

- but it's like comparing apples and oranges re what is a crime in Russia and what is a crime in the UK.

For example, the Moscow Times is quoting TASS: Moscow Crime Rate Hits Decade Low, Prosecutors Say
-saying crime is dropping, with 'theft and robbery' being 42% of all crimes. Murders are down 27% in five years

As we're 11th on the corruption index and they're 28th, what is revealed as crime stats in Russia may not be the whole picture either: Corruption Perceptions Index 2018

732 murders etc in the UK 2018. Official population 66.9M: U.K. Population (2019) - Worldometers
7,609 murders etc in Russia 2018. Official population 143.8M: Russia Population (2019) - Worldometers

Here's some stats produced by the state:http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2017/rusfig/rus17e.pdf

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
Just as the US becomes a net exporter and the rest of the world moves to renewables / nuclear. Paranoid is the operative word.

Mike Barton

War Hero
It's not (quite) the Third World and it's equally NOT the First World either.
Well spotted, the Soviet Bloc was quite literally the "Second World" against which the First and Third Worlds were defined, back in the day when such terms were acceptable. I believe the terms today are "developed" and "developing" - note don't ever call them "undeveloped" that will get you in trouble - countries.

Well spotted, the Soviet Bloc was quite literally the "Second World" against which the First and Third Worlds were defined, back in the day when such terms were acceptable. I believe the terms today are "developed" and "developing" - note don't ever call them "undeveloped" that will get you in trouble - countries.
...and countries can "develop" backwards as well as forwards. Not that I'm inferring that Russia is on the slide. Goodness me yes no.

No...

Wait...