'Ammunition depot fire' in Siberia, Russia

This subject has been mentioned on the 'Russia Fake News' thread but the footage in this newer video deserves airing.
152mm shells cooking off, apparently. The BBC World Service reported the incident as being at a missile factory.
1.30 in is fairly impressive. Not sure I'd be hanging around to take photos, much as they are interesting.

Russia claims that all of their chemical ordinance was destroyed by 2017. I hope that is so for the sake of the people living under the plume trajectory.

Oddly enough a boarding school classmate passed through there a few days ago traveling with his wife on a train. I gather he had to change trains there to go to Mongolia.

Russian Army QM types rubbing their hands with glee.
“Remember the Donnington fire, comrade”.

gaijin

War Hero
Russia claims that all of their chemical ordinance was destroyed by 2017. I hope that is so for the sake of the people living under the plume trajectory.

Oddly enough a boarding school classmate passed through there a few days ago traveling with his wife on a train. I gather he had to change trains there to go to Mongolia.
Public school, Oxbridge, a discrete tap on the shoulder from an, otherwise unremarkable, senior professor and, before you know it, you are blowing ammo dumps in Siberia

Last edited:
"...and that is how an RBMK reactor explodes."

The video clips on the morning news looked spectacular. The commentator mentioned the figure of 40,000 pieces of arty ammo. You don't get a firework display like that every day.
This however reminded me of the fire in Brüggen/Bracht woods in 1977 (?). The flames got a bit close to the ammo dump, where among other bangy things RAFG had its supply of 1000 lb bombs. Apperently it got hot enough to melt the explosive.:eek:

That might be the least of their problems. The smoke from the fires is posing a serious health problem and is so widespread that it could have a permanent affect on the climate and also affect the weather in Europe.
The way Russia is handling the problem is to say the least chaotic, I hope that that is the only ammo dump in that area.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The video clips on the morning news looked spectacular. The commentator mentioned the figure of 40,000 pieces of arty ammo. You don't get a firework display like that every day.
This however reminded me of the fire in Brüggen/Bracht woods in 1977 (?). The flames got a bit close to the ammo dump, where among other bangy things RAFG had its supply of 1000 lb bombs. Apperently it got hot enough to melt the explosive.:eek:
Blimey. A rush of memories. My father was at 3 BAPD. I can remember a lots of the guys from the estate coming home smelling of smoke having spent the day beating out flames.

Happy memories, in an odd way.

[/THREAD DRIFT]

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
it could have a permanent affect on the climate and also affect the weather in Europe.
Oh no, the return of the soot cloud and a new ice age. Quick, someone invent global warming.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The explosion at about 1.32 was impressive, flash to bang but I can't remember the math.
Sound travels about 1,100 fps. A mile is 5,280 feet, or a whisker under 5sec. Allowing for bad timing counting on seconds, call it 5sec/ mile.

I love this bit of the report on the BBC website, "The cause of the blast was not immediately clear".

Quite frankly I was under the impression that vodka was a very clear liquid, including the stuff in 5 litre containers, as will have been imbibed by the Rossiya-stronk-not-at-all-ghey-there-are-no-gheys-in-Rossiya squaddies charged with making sure the depot didn't go bang.

Said imbibing taking place shortly before Boris dared Ivan to give that fused 152mm shell a good solid whack with a sledge hammer.

Not that Russians have a reputation for being reckless, out of control piss-heads you understand. It would be wrong to think that.

The Soviets, and the Russians, have ALWAYS had a certain "meh", lackadaisical attitude to basic administration including ammunition handling and storage, hygiene and healthcare in the field, weapons storage, theft and pilfering...

Check out the online reports on Soviet losses in Afghanistan in the 1980s. About 15,000 dead, 45,000 wounded and over 400,000 hospitalised for preventable diseases as a result of poor hygiene, training, and discipline.

It's a Russian thing and it's nothing new...

The Soviets, and the Russians, have ALWAYS had a certain "meh", lackadaisical attitude to basic administration including ammunition handling and storage, hygiene and healthcare in the field, weapons storage, theft and pilfering...

Check out the online reports on Soviet losses in Afghanistan in the 1980s. About 15,000 dead, 45,000 wounded and over 400,000 hospitalised for preventable diseases as a result of poor hygiene, training, and discipline.

It's a Russian thing and it's nothing new...
Bing Bong. KGB Resident,KGB Resident.Clean up on aisle 4. Bing Bong.... ;)