ammo tech

Hi

Could some one please tell me where the basic training is held for people going into the RLC as an amm tech?

thanx
smurf
xx

After completing phase 1 at ATR Pirbright you will then go to Kineton (Warks) to do a selection course. If you are good enough and pass you will then be placed on the next AT course.

The course itself starts at the Royal Military Collage of Science (You will be the only non-commisioned ranks allowed to attend the collage!).
You then return to Kineton to complete the course.

Nearest places on the shurbet is Banbury and Leamington Spa. Both worthwhile spending a penny :wink: .

My my how things have changed, 25 years ago you weren't even allowed to mention the word Kineton out loud, it was always called
"a location deep in the heart of the Warwickshire countryside".

Dibble said:
After completing phase 1 at ATR Pirbright you will then go to Kineton (Warks) to do a selection course. If you are good enough and pass you will then be placed on the next AT course.

The course itself starts at the Royal Military Collage of Science (You will be the only non-commisioned ranks allowed to attend the collage!).

Nearest places on the shurbet is Banbury and Leamington Spa. Both worthwhile spending a penny :wink: .
Poor spelling and grammer - see me!

bobtheclog said:
Dibble said:

Poor spelling and grammer - see me!
Nothing new there then, exceptionally from the AT trade.

Dibble said:

I'm not sure, but I think that all Potential Ammo Techs, have to complete Basic Driver Training and B3 Supplier before starting the AT course, so they have a trade to be RTU'd to if they fail...... (is it still possible to fail?)

Can any AT Confirm?

As far as I know - Recruits are only POTENTIAL AT's until they pass their trade trg. You're right in saying they used to get a secondary trade - not sure now though.

They definitely go to Deepcut and from there, complete Dvr Trg (not sure about another trade at this stage - probably only after they get binned from ASofA).

They usually have a fairly long wait at Deepcut until the next AT course starts anyway, so Dvr Trg keeps them busy and is useful.

But I may be wrong..................

Sadly today all of the AT's that have come straight from the ATR's do not have a secondary trade. They arrive from their AT Trg with little or no military experience other that ATRs and Kineton but they are LCpls which I rate below senior Storekeeping Privates. They may be intellectual but they are of no use in a Field Regiment. However, re-treads from other Arms are usually a pleasure to work with because of the skills and experience that they bring. If only more of it could rub off onto the RLC AT Trainees!!!

Speaking with my ex- Sgt Majs head on, I say scrap the direct entry AT's and give the RLC more re-treads who can survive in the field, cook over anything, cam-up, do a stag and not f*ckin' whinge all the time because their feet are wet and there's no hot water! - or, identify your possible AT's early in their career but give them 2 or 3 years in a field force unit where they can learn their soldiering skills which in turn will give them some credibility when they arrive in a unit as newly qualified AT LCpls.

I'll happily respond to sensible e-mails to my mail box.

I don't think it is possible to fail the AT course now. From what it looks like you get back squadded until the start of the next course then try again. You can even get through pre select after being naffed off three times!!!!!!

Sadly today all of the AT's that have come straight from the ATR's do not have a secondary trade. They arrive from their AT Trg with little or no military experience other that ATRs and Kineton but they are LCpls which I rate below senior Storekeeping Privates. They may be intellectual but they are of no use in a Field Regiment. However, re-treads from other Arms are usually a pleasure to work with because of the skills and experience that they bring. If only more of it could rub off onto the RLC AT Trainees!!!

Speaking with my ex- Sgt Majs head on, I say scrap the direct entry AT's and give the RLC more re-treads who can survive in the field, cook over anything, cam-up, do a stag and not f*ckin' whinge all the time because their feet are wet and there's no hot water! - or, identify your possible AT's early in their career but give them 2 or 3 years in a field force unit where they can learn their soldiering skills which in turn will give them some credibility when they arrive in a unit as newly qualified AT LCpls.
This will never work really. It was thought up about 10 years ago, and probably due another round of "I have a great idea" which will never see the light of day.

As for intellectuals - I met one back-squaded potential AT the other day who said that he flew through Shrivenham with his degree in chemistry. Didn't respond well to the comment of getting binned after three weeks actually studying ammunition though. I weep for the future, just like somebody wept about me some years past.

thiswayup said:
I don't think it is possible to fail the AT course now. From what it looks like you get back squadded until the start of the next course then try again. You can even get through pre select after being naffed off three times!!!!!!
These comments amaze me! Is that statement true? What a shambles and utter disgrace, if true. Do they do any leadership training at all once qualified as an AT? The marketing manager of the AAT said at the recent AGM, that if you attend a 40 minute lesson at the AS of A you will be given the flaming arrsehole..........and I thought he was joking!! Fresh faced WO1's with 12 years service, what the fcuk next?

UK_Mike_AT said:
After Pirbright do I go 2 another AT selection? Then Deepcut? What goes on @ Deepcut?
1. Have you completed basic training?

2. Have you passed the AT selection held at Kineton?

If the answer is yes, to both then you should go straight to Kineton to start your course once released from Pirbright.

If the answer is no and you have only sat the pre-basic AT selection interview then you will have to pass the AT selection held at the AS of A.

I do suggest that you try to lose the text speak.

UK_Mike_AT said:
What goes on @ Deepcut?
Lots of fun things, plenty of time down the NAAFI, no horrible NCOs to boss you about, 1 poor subaltern with a troop of over 400 people - he's too busy to worry about about you so don't worry about him, just ignore everything he says.

Occasionally you'll go on all-night benders with some of your mates, however because this is the army, these are called "guard duties". Don't wory though, you can still get pissed, and have some real fun with guns and stuff. One of the best games there is when you're "on duty" outside the Officers' Mess. It's a real party atmosphere - they're drinking inside, you're drinking outside, and occasionally one of them will lean out of the window and take pot-shots at "the guard" just for fun - just to keep you on your toes. Don't worry, no-one ever gets badly injured - it's amazing what the med centre can do these days; we've not had anyone killed there for at least a couple of years or so!

Sometimes, whilst all the drinking is going on at the "guard rave", one of your new friends will say something like "I've had enough of this [the beer], I'm just going outside for a while. I may be some time", and disappear with their rifle. Don't worry about this, they'll be perfectly fine, they probably just need to clear their head and let some fresh air in. Any shots you hear are probably just them shooting at squirrells or returning fire in the Officers' Mess game!.

Deepcut is cool, Deepcut is fun, Deepcut is safe. You'll have a great time.

Enjoy :D

UK_Mike_AT said:
After Pirbright do I go 2 another AT selection? Then Deepcut? What goes on @ Deepcut?
This is the process. First you will start at Pirbright hwere you will be given a reading pack and then attend a pre selection (ATCAB) which is attended by PATO (senior ATO staff at HQ LAND) and SATs as well as members of RLC recruiting group. If at this stage you are still considered suitable you continue through phase 1 trg to phase two trg. On arrival at Deepcut you will have a week's induction, and be given your AT selection pre reading pack (this must be issued to you at least three weeks prior to selection). You are responsible for completing the pack in your own time. Meanwhile you will complete Cat Btrg ( theory and licence acquisition). You then attend selection at Kineton which takes about 2 days and involves a series of written exams and interviews. You will automatically be rejected if you fail more than one exam, however depending on how you perform at interview you could be taken 'at risk' onto the course if you have failed one exam. There are however a max of 4 taken 'at risk' on any course so may not be selected if you fail anything. You may instead be asked to re-attend selection, but this is now by exception. If you are not successful you will have to choose another trade, not necessarily in the RLC. The AT class two course is held at both Shrivenham and Kineton. Many candidates do still fail (about 30%of each course) at this stage and then if there are vacancies on the subsequent course you may be backsquadded and if not, then you will have to choose another trade. Again this need not be in the RLC.

I hope this clarifies everything.