ammo tech

Discussion in 'RLC' started by smurf, Oct 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Could some one please tell me where the basic training is held for people going into the RLC as an amm tech?

2. Pirbright For all RLC
  3. After completing phase 1 at ATR Pirbright you will then go to Kineton (Warks) to do a selection course. If you are good enough and pass you will then be placed on the next AT course.

The course itself starts at the Royal Military Collage of Science (You will be the only non-commisioned ranks allowed to attend the collage!).
    You then return to Kineton to complete the course.

Nearest places on the shurbet is Banbury and Leamington Spa. Both worthwhile spending a penny :wink: .
  4. My my how things have changed, 25 years ago you weren't even allowed to mention the word Kineton out loud, it was always called
    "a location deep in the heart of the Warwickshire countryside".
  5. Thanks very much for your help :)
  6. Poor spelling and grammer - see me!
  7. Nothing new there then, exceptionally from the AT trade.
  8. grammar?
  9. so now this is not the RLC forum but the AGC Staff Clerk forum!!!!! Naff orf
  10. I'm not sure, but I think that all Potential Ammo Techs, have to complete Basic Driver Training and B3 Supplier before starting the AT course, so they have a trade to be RTU'd to if they fail...... (is it still possible to fail?)

Can any AT Confirm?
  11. As far as I know - Recruits are only POTENTIAL AT's until they pass their trade trg. You're right in saying they used to get a secondary trade - not sure now though.

They definitely go to Deepcut and from there, complete Dvr Trg (not sure about another trade at this stage - probably only after they get binned from ASofA).

They usually have a fairly long wait at Deepcut until the next AT course starts anyway, so Dvr Trg keeps them busy and is useful.

But I may be wrong..................

12. Sadly today all of the AT's that have come straight from the ATR's do not have a secondary trade. They arrive from their AT Trg with little or no military experience other that ATRs and Kineton but they are LCpls which I rate below senior Storekeeping Privates. They may be intellectual but they are of no use in a Field Regiment. However, re-treads from other Arms are usually a pleasure to work with because of the skills and experience that they bring. If only more of it could rub off onto the RLC AT Trainees!!!

Speaking with my ex- Sgt Majs head on, I say scrap the direct entry AT's and give the RLC more re-treads who can survive in the field, cook over anything, cam-up, do a stag and not f*ckin' whinge all the time because their feet are wet and there's no hot water! - or, identify your possible AT's early in their career but give them 2 or 3 years in a field force unit where they can learn their soldiering skills which in turn will give them some credibility when they arrive in a unit as newly qualified AT LCpls.

I'll happily respond to sensible e-mails to my mail box.
  13. I don't think it is possible to fail the AT course now. From what it looks like you get back squadded until the start of the next course then try again. You can even get through pre select after being naffed off three times!!!!!!
  14. This will never work really. It was thought up about 10 years ago, and probably due another round of "I have a great idea" which will never see the light of day.

As for intellectuals - I met one back-squaded potential AT the other day who said that he flew through Shrivenham with his degree in chemistry. Didn't respond well to the comment of getting binned after three weeks actually studying ammunition though. I weep for the future, just like somebody wept about me some years past.
  15. These comments amaze me! Is that statement true? What a shambles and utter disgrace, if true. Do they do any leadership training at all once qualified as an AT? The marketing manager of the AAT said at the recent AGM, that if you attend a 40 minute lesson at the AS of A you will be given the flaming arrsehole..........and I thought he was joking!! Fresh faced WO1's with 12 years service, what the fcuk next?