Ammo Pouch Or Utility Pouch ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by sixty_three, Oct 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see alot of lads are ditching the right hand side ammo pouch and replacing it with a utility pouch to carry link/bombs.

Also seen lads with private purchase minimi pouch.

Which is the best set up ?

2. Adapt your webbing to how YOU want/need it. If YOU find that you need a different pouch in place of the RH ammo pouch, swap them over. Don't do it just cos it looks good, people'll just think you're a fecking walt. Especially if you're a fat arse who only gets out of the office for range days

3. Webbing is a personal thing swop it around give it a go and see how you like it. I found getting rid of my r/h ammo pouch and replacing it with an utility pouch my flask seems rattle about. Try every thing once apart from hard drugs and folk dancing.

4. Can't agree coops!!!!!! I've done folk dancing on hard drugs and it's great!

Oh and as said, belt kit combo is totally up to you, hence most of the belt kits we make are now "flexible" for any role

5. Not as flexible as some!
    A Webtex belt kit will flex in the most amazing ways!!!!!!!!

Then flutter to the floor in a shower of magazines, toothbrushes and Mars Bars.

6. During your basic and trade training you may well be 'actively discouraged' from setting your webbing up in any other way than your instructors tell you to.

If you're at an elightened Sqn or once you're badged, you'll be free to **** about as much as you like.

I replaced my RH ammo with a utility and then replaced that with a modified LMG pouch just because another kitmonster on my Sqn jacked and flogged all his Gucci gear. It has a velcro and press-stud closure instead of the 'Spanish fly' thang that my spazzy fingers can't seem to deal with.

Vanguard do a minimi pouch (velcro and poppers) for about £20; issue ones are about £30 new.

You could always just hang your grenades off the laccy bits on your helmet for easy access.....

7. lol I still remember how "flexible" a Webtex Ultimax Bergen was when a friend put one on for the first time and the shoulder strap clips exploded!

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just a thought but CSS types don't get a right hand ammo pouch, just a utility pouch and water bottle pouch. Maybe its them you're seeing. Or maybe it's people walting as CSS types...

I'll get my coat.

9. Not just CSS AIUI all Non Inf only get the 1 set, I have seen some people with 4 of the single pouches instead of ammo pouches, giving the capacity of 8 mags instead of 6.

10. I've heard it called "Brecon Webbing" with three mag on the left and utility on the right.

11. 5.11 Molle Pouches are great value and are worth a look at. The price of the pouches is a lot less than some other brands too.

12. I currently have a modified Minimi pouch in place of the utility pouch which had replaced my right hand ammo pouches. Its pretty big and works well as I am able to fit in loads of 'command stuff' including TAMs etc. Actually, I now think it is a bit too big and I may have just been putting things in to fill it up.

The advantage of the utility pouch is that if needed you can still put extra mags in it, but if you have an ammo pouch, it's only really good for that and nothing else.

As with everything webbing-related, try out the options and see what works for you. I have a distinct feeling that I will switch back to a utility pouch after all.

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Oh I don't know:
    thermal mug.jpg
    Remf life!

14. Could anyone recommend a good all round pouch to carry 5.56mm / 7.62mm link that would fit ok with PLCE please ?

15. This mob SORD have a very good reputation locally.