Ammo Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by .338lapua_magnum, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick question for those in the know. Who is currently manufacturing the .50BMG ammo that we are using? Also, who will be manufacturing the .338LM ammo for the L115 and the L118? Is the brass going to be UK made or will it be Lapua?

Questions asked in the hope that if RG manufacture the ammo brass prices may come down a bit.

2. I think the last lot was from CBC Magtech in Brasil. .50 is getting very difficult to source at the moment...

I think the chances of UK manufacturing .338 or .50 is pretty slim. RG has only ever manufactured core rifle/pistol calibres such as .303, 7.62,5.56 and 9mm. Currently they are only making 7.62 and 5.56 and are working flat out. The tooling and setup costs for an SAA line are horrific, and you would need to be running it constantly to break even. With the UK government's aversion to selling anything nasty this is unlikley.

RG has never made .50 - in the past this was manufactured by Kynoch but is now all imported. I don't know of anyone making SAA cases in industrial quantaties in UK these days..

3. Kynoch and Geometrotec buy their cases in from overseas. Do RG draw their own brass? I was fairly certain that they import powder because we have no domestic manufacturer. :x
    Don't know about bullets.

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Pretty sure all the brass, explosive and propellant is now sourced from overseas for all UK (BAE Sys) ammunition. We still use UK source steel for the artillery shell I think.

5. Thanks for the replies, looks like we will have no manufacturing industries left before too much longer. We are going to be well bug*ered when the world turns nasty again.
    Does anyone in the UK draw brass then or are we totally relient on oversees manufacturers?

6. Most of the manufacturing capacity at RG (Radway Green) has been lost as BAe have reduced the workforce from several thousand to a couple of hundred. The machines thay were using were in the main supplied by the USA during WW2. The brass making crucibles have neen sold to India . There is still a ammo box manufauring line. Quite recently RG were importing ammo from India and Belgium and repacking it.

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Just had a chat to one of the guys and he reckons we are looking to re-open the drawing process in the UK for artillery cases, but still relying on imported brass.

But not sure how close this is to working, or even if it will be the end state.

S_R

8. Having worked for RO in the past, I have to say the idea that RG could undercut anybody on price (quality not an issue) is risible...

9. The only thing being made in Chorley at the old ROF site is eco homes and a small BAe Sytems facility making missiles.
    It used to be the biggest plant of its kind in Europe.

10. Various engineering companies in the Uk have the ability to produce the necessary component parts.
    There just isn't the ploitical or commercial will to do so.

11. Sympathetic_Reaction

In a few years there will only be 3 sites working in the BAE munitions business.

Birtley (metal bashing)
    Radway (Small arms)
    Glascoed (everything else)

We might still have a few bases with a few people but that's going to be it.

Saying that they are saying they will be putting a large wodge of cash into these 3 sites over the next few years.

S_R

12. Eley does (they do the whole process, end to end), but they limit themselves to smallbore ammo these days.

13. RG used to draw their own brass, but this was years ago and i don't know if they still do.

14. Some 13 Pdr cases were recently made in - Bosnia - and I am not joking.

15. The Israelis (IMI) manufacture .50in, we allready procure their 9mm.