Ammo mag pouches with velcro all the way down the front

Hey Guys, serious question here, from a Yank who has always like YOUR belt order much more than my own. I dabble a bit in kit design and am making a 2 x 3-mag pouch panel, much like you lot have used, for use with a belt order. I noticed that Jay Jay's and Dixie's Corner both use a full front flap, with velcro, over the mag pouch. DC will even retro your existing pouches with it. My question is why? With what I'm doing, I normally overlap the flap and the pouch about 2" (50mm). Was this just an olde way of doing things that now just looks "ALLY" or what.

Some thoughts. My Aussie mate says it might be for when you're proned out or leopard crawling, to present a smooth, snag-free front. I wuz also thinking maybe for artic warfare, where you could grab onto the long tail with mitts on. And then there's Sgt Maj's every where who don't want the troops losing their magazines, so let's make sure they can't get the damn thing out of there.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, much appreciated!

Boxy

GCM
Security, in a hurry to close the pouch or for some bizarre reason sidetracked then a long strip of hook and loop is going to be strong enough to keep the lid/flap closed

4(T)

LE
Back in the day I used stuff like Arktis chest rig and custom pouches that had full length flaps/velcro. This made it a reliable way of closing the pouch over heavy loaded mags.

The later issue PLCE with short velcro tabs wasn't that good at snagging the pouch lids, and they'd usually tear open again.

Ah OK, well then let me esplain further. What I'm doing is using a piece of webbing, with a kydex stiffener, as a "tuck tab", and a webbing "tunnel" on the front of the pouch to well, tuck it into. Sort of like old school jump rig inspection flaps, where I cobbed the idea from. Also sort of similar to the "Spanish"(?) closure system seen on your PLCE, except there is no bale; the tuck tab simply folds over and inserts into the tuck tunnel. Per customer request I sometimes back this up with a bit of velcro, which would work in pinch, as you guys are discussing, for a quick close n go maneuver. And I usually include a bit of horizontal webbing, which the pull tab can be pushed through/under to lock it down for jumps ops and the like.

But thanks for the explanation of the "full frontal"(!) velcro patch. That does make sense, now that I think about it. Just never been a big fan of velcro; I like to use some other kind of closure system. The SR buckles usually take two hands, can be noisy, and/or break. With the tuck tab, my idea was to have something that you could manipulate, one-handed, in the dark, whilst covering down your sector of fire. Silent, nothing to clog with mud or snow, or break. Sorry for the commercial just trying to give you some idea of what the hell the crazy yank is up to.

Ah OK, well then let me esplain further. What I'm doing is using a piece of webbing, with a kydex stiffener, as a "tuck tab", and a webbing "tunnel" on the front of the pouch to well, tuck it into. Sort of like old school jump rig inspection flaps, where I cobbed the idea from. Also sort of similar to the "Spanish"(?) closure system seen on your PLCE, except there is no bale; the tuck tab simply folds over and inserts into the tuck tunnel. Per customer request I sometimes back this up with a bit of velcro, which would work in pinch, as you guys are discussing, for a quick close n go maneuver. And I usually include a bit of horizontal webbing, which the pull tab can be pushed through/under to lock it down for jumps ops and the like.

But thanks for the explanation of the "full frontal"(!) velcro patch. That does make sense, now that I think about it. Just never been a big fan of velcro; I like to use some other kind of closure system. The SR buckles usually take two hands, can be noisy, and/or break. With the tuck tab, my idea was to have something that you could manipulate, one-handed, in the dark, whilst covering down your sector of fire. Silent, nothing to clog with mud or snow, or break. Sorry for the commercial just trying to give you some idea of what the hell the crazy yank is up to.

Any chance of a picture of your tuck tunnel thing? I think I sort of know what you mean but, I am intrigued to see it.

Yeah absolutely, as soon as I figure out how to post pics. Bit of a Luddite when it comes to this stuff.

20190627_150833.jpg

Ah there we go. Here is a modified Velsystems jungle pouch. Here you can see the approx 2"/50mm overlap of flap and pouch front I shoot for. The tuck tab is fully inserted into the tuck tunnel, sewn into the pouch front. The pull tab is free to open flap with a slight downward tug, then out. To lock it down, you would pass it under the horizontal webbing.

20190627_150731.jpg

Here we peek under the hood (er bonnet). I am holding onto the tuck tab, which is the webbing and kydex combo. The tuck tunnel, sewn onto the front of the pouch is now visible. The velcro is at customer request for quick closure, or to help secure a less than full pouch (like a smoke or something).

To give some background here, these pouches were made for a good mate of mine. The whole point of this exercise was you are with a small recce team when you bump an enemy patrol. You (wisely) decide to break contact. After leap-frogging back a bit you consolidate, check for leaks, re-distribute ammo, etc. So you now "bump up" mags back to your number one mag pouch, putting any, partials further back in the load. So with this pouch, you can do that, one-handed, and silently, while maintaining a scan in your assigned sector. 4-6 guys all opening and closing velcro pouches at the same time, might still be heard by people you'd rather not see again. I only mention this because some wag will say Oy in my platoon, after a contact, it was a bloody circus, and nobody gave a shit about their mag pouches making noise. And while this is true in certain circumstances, it isn't in others. I hope you guys don't think this is all too gaye for discussion. I am not nor have I ever been when of "those guys"; I am merely a stitch bitch.

To give some background here, these pouches were made for a good mate of mine. The whole point of this exercise was you are with a small recce team when you bump an enemy patrol. You (wisely) decide to break contact. After leap-frogging back a bit you consolidate, check for leaks, re-distribute ammo, etc. So you now "bump up" mags back to your number one mag pouch, putting any, partials further back in the load. So with this pouch, you can do that, one-handed, and silently, while maintaining a scan in your assigned sector. 4-6 guys all opening and closing velcro pouches at the same time, might still be heard by people you'd rather not see again. I only mention this because some wag will say Oy in my platoon, after a contact, it was a bloody circus, and nobody gave a shit about their mag pouches making noise. And while this is true in certain circumstances, it isn't in others. I hope you guys don't think this is all too gaye for discussion. I am not nor have I ever been when of "those guys"; I am merely a stitch bitch.
But will it keep a submarine hatch closed?

Latest Threads