• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Ammo Depot Explsosion in Albania

Many of you will be aware that there was an explosion in an Albanian ammo depot at the end of March. The depot was being used to demilitarise ammo. This is what happens when you dont treat ammo with respect:

Attachments

Wow - thats a cheeky little crater!

I remember this...it makes firework night seem so insignificant.

Chandrapur (Maharashtra), June 29 (IANS) Massive explosions rent the air here Friday after over 3,000 bombs stacked in two cellars of the Bhadrawati Ordnance Factory went off in a fire. There were no casualties
However POF Wah has a long list of similar experiences and I was actually there the night the rocket motor plant had its big cook-off...I suggest that if you are a non-Pakistani national, recently arrived from India, that you do not visit a town with a dodgy ordnance factory the night it goes poop! Very nice men the Pakistani police...

Ah yes RM, remember the Indian 9mm?

Cuddles said:
Ah yes RM, remember the Indian 9mm?
Remember it well - and I know where it is! 200 nautical miles south west of Cork in the Atlantic Trench - along with the Thunderbirds Main and Boost motors, the Energa Grenades (300,000 of them) and the 1000lb bombs a young and seasick Capt R-M dumped from the good ship RFA Sir Galahad :D

Has anyone got any piccys of the Kenyan depot explosion a few years back? That was a nice one as well.

Cheers R-M, bit embarressing i got the place wrong, but all shitholes look the same to me!

Had a huge one in Kinshasa around 1999 or 2000. Rained bits of crap on everything for miles around and destroyed a couple of aircraft at Ndjili Airport where the stuff was kept.

diplomat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Dingger, PM me I have got quite a few pics of various depot explosions (ukraine, slovakia, mozambique etc_

Blogg said:
jagman said:
Or hows about the daddy of all bomb store explosions

http://www.carolyn.topmum.net/tutbury/fauld/fauldcrater.htm

RAF Fauld, reputedly a 4 kiloton blast
That is utterly dreadful. The cause?

"......bombs being taken out of store - primed for use and replaced unused, with the detonators still installed"
8O
Exact cause not really known as all the witnesses were killed.
Apparently unused bombs were routinely jetisoned into marshland on return from unsuccesful raids, recovered and taken to Fauld for re-use. A civilain worker was seen going into the store area with steel tools with the intent of removing a fuse from a (1000lb I think) bomb, shortly after that the explosion occured.

many thanks for the phots/info - diplomat. Looks like you do some worthwhile work all over the world; i might be knocking on your door, for work, over the next couple of years.