Ammo Boots

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Jun 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents can anyone tell me why the ammo boot, beloved of Guardsmen and Drill Pigs was so named ?
    Memory says it was something to do with the boot first being issued to ordanace troops working with live ammunition to "Prevent Sparks" !
    Was it originally without the metal studs? which came later when on general issue.
    Serious question I was asked on another board.
  2. I understand that there were several versions of the ammo boots issued, e.g. drivers got boots without studs to prevent them from slipping off the steel foot pedals of their vehicles. Also tankers got them without studs, so that they wouldn´t slip off the steel plates of their tanks.

3. Because everything issued to the services in those days was "Ammunition"(Obsolete French amunition, from l'amunition, the provisioning)"
  4. Thanks gents for your assistance. I have passed on your advice.
    A yank sent me this site which I have not seen before one section refers to the ammo boots worn.

5. As a boring geriatric old fart I am just qualified to address this important topic.

My first experience of these splendid items dates back to the '60s, just before Boots DMS came in. They were issued with heel and toe plates and a dense pattern of nails flush to the sole, but without studs (more properly 'hobs', I think). Exactly how many hobs were added and what the pattern should be was a major topic of discussion among regimental enthusiasts and would-be drill pigs.

Much to my amazement, I was once issued with a pair of boots without toecaps. They were made of a manky greasy leather that never would shine and had a date before the flood stamped in them.

As for 'ammunition', I have always believed something like Firestarter's etymology; consider also the word 'munitions', now rather old fashioned, but very popular once to mean supplies of all kinds.