ammo boots studs help please

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by philrules3, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its shows studs in, are you saying its not what you got?

Here is what i posted some time ago:
    Guys

I get many people ask me where to get Ammo Boots re-soled, re-studded etc, same goes for Brown shoes and George boots.

I live in Portsmouth and I use a guy who is the ONLY one left who is the'old school' cobbler.

This is not your 'Mr Minnit' sort of guy, much higher standard, if you want your boots/shoes done and quality work, this is the man for you.

I have used him for years and there isnt any type of leather work he wont fix or repair.

He has got every type of stud for ammo boots etc, every type of sole too, and he will try his best not to disturb your 'bull' when he fits them. He knows the sort of work that goes into best boots/shoes.

I mentioned to him today about also 'clipping' Sam Brownes he said, all he needs is a photo of a 'clipped' one, and he will do them.

I will pop in next week with my 'clipped' Sam Browne to show him.

To give you an example of what I bought just today:
    1 Pair of Loakes Brown Brouges. Size 9 1/2 (sale price £40)
    Quarter Steel fitted to the heels £5
    Whistle and Strap sewn onto Sam Browne cross strap (PWRR Style) £5

KW & P Burgess
    107 Clive Road
    Fratton
    Portsmouth
    PO1 5JD
    02392 822068
    07801 190296

Hes no relation of mine, just a quality guy with quality work

2. The picture shows the correct amount of studs 13.
    Are you then missing the front 2 and rear 4?
    Sounds like you've received the wrong pair, not shown on E-bay matey.

If you find a local cobbler where you are, I'm sure he will be able to replace
    the missing studs...

3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Trivia for you.

The use of 13 protective (flat) studs was introduced in August 1942 (ACI 1827 dated 29 Aug 42) to economise on metal. Hobnails could be fitted in lieu for units operating in hilly conditions. Prior to this 15 studs were fitted and at the start of the second world war 25 studs were fitted. If the soldier was to drive a vehicle then boots with studs or hobnails were prohibited.

Agreed though, if the boots you got weren't the ones in the picture then kick off big style.

4. My memory must b eplaying tricks with me as I seem to remember we had steel plates at the toe and a C shaped tip on the heel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. No, you're quite right. They still had (pretty heavy) heel- and toe-plates when I joined, and (I thought) 17 studs each. General M. disagrees, and in an earlier post he's quoting the book as 13 studs each, so 13 it must be. Each Inf Bn had its own RAOC cobbler attached to maintain them - I loved that smell of new leather when you got 'em back.

Cheers,
    Cliff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Cliff,

It may well have been 17 when you joined up. The quote is from wartime regs and was brought in to economise on materials so there would be nothing to prevent the cobbler adding a few more.

7. [marq=down][/marq] Try the Brigade of Guards they still use the old type boots for some functions. :idea:

8. SQUADDIEKIT.COM

HAS:

REPLACEMENT AMMO BOOT STUDS

REPLACEMENT BROGUE STUDS

INCLUDING SINGLE FLAT (NAIL TYPE HOBS), SINGLE CONE HOBS, AND THE NEW TRIPLE HOB TYPE.

THEY ALSO DO THE REPLACEMENT HYEEL AND TOE PIECES FOR THE BOOTS AND BROGUES...

CHECK THEM OUT WWW.SQUADDIEKIT.COM

9. Try the bunker or hanger 39 in Colchester they repair Ammo boots and have all different types of studs and metal work

10. 2007 you dozy spastic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Didn't notice the date, just trying to help

Thanks for the encouragement

12. Just as an aside: I must be the only person in my workplace who spit-polishes his work boots. Which, nowadays, are lightweight side-zip tactical boots with 12mths operational life. Ah well ... old habits die hard. ;)

Cheers,
    Cliff

13. They'll be ready Tuesday

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 2017