Ammo Boots Help

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by philrules3, Jul 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could some one please help me. i am a air cadet and when i go on parades i see all the parade marshals have really nice beez waxed ammo boots and i want to buy a pair but all the ones i see dont look the same where can you buy NEW ammo boots, i have read how to beez wax them and i think i will be ok with it. if some one can give me a web site for a leather sole ammo boots i would be very greatful thankyou phil james
  2. Have you tried googling? Silvermans usually has them, they might be a bit pricey though.
  3. a link to a previous question of the same nature
    the guy who started this link does

and here on the army's' everything must go web site;pgid=MieqQ4wkQg8000ArvQ_8K1sp0000dPPJ3tWO?ProductUUID=8mDAqBELBNsAAAEH6SOtQ5hj&CatalogCategoryID=gWvAqBELr9kAAAEEZDOFI1sm&JumpTo=OfferList

new boots on ebay size 9 and 11 here

you can get the decent polishing cloth from here

There are a lot of pairs on ebay under ammo boots it is worth a look
  4. Well you don't even need wax. I did mine from scratch..

All you need is for an ex soldier that did guard duty that spent all that time polishing boots to show you the technique ;)

A lot of cadets try to cheat, soldiers too, Eg. USING A BLOWTORCH AND SAND .. . . there is no way to cheat properly.. have you seen how the household cavalry walk? lol ;)

Well.. after about 3 weeks they can be good.. similar to this:

Don't waste money on pre done boots

You like bend the cloth taughtly round your 2 fingers, polish untill you see a black shadow and then use water to do the bulling.. break the boot into sections with your mind. Don't think of it as a chore, think of it as relaxation time..
  5. [align=center]THE BUTLERS GUIDE TO SHINY FOOTWEAR[/align].

Selvyt. (Polishing cloth.) (Follow link)
    ladies Tights.(no fishnets or other patterns)
    2 x tins of kiwi polish.
    2 x good bristled boot brushes labelled on and off.

Glossary of terms.

Selvyt = pronounced Silvette. It is actually a diamond duster and used as a lens cleaner. Far superior to the humble yellow duster.
    Diddley = A slang name for the Selvyt.
    Bobbing = A word used in the cavalry for the process of shining using a Selvyt.
    Bulling = A general military term that means the same as Bobbing.

Protect your work area, brush polishing can throw bits of polish around.

Some people like to wear latex gloves to keep the polish stains off their hands.

Always work with a damp Selvyt. Tie a piece of string to one corner of it, about 12 inches long.

Fill your tin lid with clean cold water.

Always brush polish your footwear first. It feeds the leather and helps to remove grit and polish flakes and helps you build up your layering.

Whatever footwear you are bobbing you must break them in first to let them attain their natural creases, this will help reduce flaking when you walk.

When finished, be sure to dry the lid thoroughly. It will rust if you don't and the last thing you want in the polish is rust particles.

Remove excess dirt from your boots if necessary then apply a good quantity of polish from your brush polishing tin using your on brush. Never use the same polish to brush polish and bob as it gets grit in it.

Remember to pay attention to the welts removing all dirt.

If your eyelets are a bit worn and brass is showing use a black marker on them.

Using your off brush polish the shoe vigorously till a nice shine appears

Using your tights, rolled in a ball rub over the boots as this gives a very good shiny finish that is quite acceptable for day to day wear.

Arrange your hand in the style of a boy scout salute, i.e. three fingered.
    Wrap the Diddley around your three fingers making sure the writing is on the outside
    Use the string to secure it around your wrist.
    Dip your Diddley (please don’t snigger) in your water get it nice and wet and then dip it in your bobbing polish.
    Apply to one section of your boot at a time rubbing in circles this is to build up the polish layers on your boots.
    Keep applying polish and water and soon you will begin to see a dull shine.
    As your polish builds up on the leather it will start to shine that is when you start to reduce the amount of polish you apply, just dab your fingers in the kiwi lighter and lighter enlarging the polishing circles. A lot of people have problems finishing of and can leave a smeary or even scratched appearance. If this happens to you then try finishing using the water bobbing method.

Water bobbing.

Equipment is cotton wool balls and cold rung water.
    Take your boots into the bogs ad use a sink.
    Run the cold water and put a cotton wool ball under it.
    Rub the wool ball on your boots in a circle and a shinier finish will start to appear. Keep rinsing and changing cotton as it will pick up polish flakes that will scratch your boots.
    When you are happy with the finish make sure you remove all water from your boots as it dries and leaves white marks if you don’t.
    You can if you wish bob over this finish with your diddley and try an even deeper shine.
    When you are happy with your boots the next bit is a real cringer.
    Wear them!! Put them on lace them up and do a quick stroll round the block.
    Why you mad bugger I hear you ask
    Your boots will crack along your natural creases if you go on parade with them like that you will impress no one.
    When you have the natural crease cracks formed do the following:
    Brush them hard with the off brush.
    Brush polish them with the on brush.
    Brush them vigorously with the off brush.
    Rub them with your tights.
    Then bob them up again this time the creases will have less polish in them and the rest of your boot won’t crack as much.

Don’t do’s.
    Clear floor polish Even a cadet instructor will spot that bluff.
    Set fire to your polish. Never understood that one, it depletes the natural oils and wax
    Gloss paint. Oh yes I’ve seen it done looks great ends in tears.
    Morello a German shoe product actually very good but I’ve seen toecaps fall off on parade. Works well on welts and heels.
    Pledge. I’ve seen this widely used by kings troop RHA as a finishing method. not a real cheat;)

Note: In the Household Cavalry we use our whole hands once proficient at bobbing and you get a feel for when it is right to reduce your polish and water quantities. I am telling you this method because it easier for a beginner to start off with three fingers and I Know any cavalrymen reading this will laugh but you got to start somewhere. I first learned when I was an 11 year old army cadet with a yellow duster and one finger. My basic training at Bovington did not teach me any different and it was not until I became officers orderly that the other more experienced orderlies taught me the proper way to bob boots with a diddley.
    As you get better at it you will develop your own style of what works for you. This is only a rough guide to get you started.
    This guide was originally designed for soldiers ammunition boots as worn on parades but the basic principles can be used on shoes, riding boots, leather belts, chin straps, saddles and tack, in fact any leather goods and some plastic leather like goods.