Ammo, Afghanistan, Albania, Miami Beach & licensed masseurs

Supplier Under Scrutiny on Aging Arms for Afghans

Since 2006......the Afghan government has been dependent on American logistics and military support in the war against Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

But to arm the Afghan forces that it hopes will lead this fight, the American military has relied since early last year on a fledgling company led by a 22-year-old man whose vice president was a licensed masseur.

With the award last January of a federal contract worth as much as nearly $300 million, the company, AEY Inc., which operates out of an unmarked office in Miami Beach, became the main supplier of munitions to Afghanistan’s army and police forces.

Since then, the company has provided ammunition that is more than 40 years old and in decomposing packaging, according to an examination of the munitions by The New York Times and interviews with American and Afghan officials.

Nawa, Afghanistan, an outpost near the Pakistani border, where an Afghan lieutenant colonel surveyed the rifle cartridges on his police station’s dirty floor. Soon after arriving there, the cardboard boxes had split open and their contents spilled out, revealing ammunition manufactured in China in 1966.

“This is what they give us for the fighting,” said the colonel, Amanuddin, “It makes us worried, because too much of it is junk.” Ammunition as it ages over decades often becomes less powerful, reliable and accurate.

Public records show that AEY’s contracts since 2004 have potentially been worth more than a third of a billion dollars.

Several military officers and government officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the investigations, questioned how Mr. Diveroli, and a small group of men principally in their 20s and without extensive military or procurement experiences, landed so much vital government work.

“A lot of us are asking the question,” said a senior State Department official. “How did this guy get all this business?”
in full (long article)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/world/asia/27ammo.html?hp

Good grief does this article suggest that oversight of federal funding has been less than perfect...i am truly shocked. :roll:

Oh its much worse than you think! For example it doesn't mention the fact that the ammunition consisted of a mix of brass and steel cartridge cases - in the same box!

Does it matter? Only if the supporting fire guys have a weapons seizure when the assault troops are 20m from the enemy or the poor batsards are in a face to face fire fight! I put it to you M'Lud that it then becomes a whole world of sh1t!

FFS will somebody up the CoC take this on - this really is serious - and on a large scale! A really large scale!!!!!!!!!!!!

“A lot of us are asking the question,” said a senior State Department official. “How did this guy get all this business?”
I can't say I'm terribly surprised, they did similar things to their own lads in the early days - unarmoured humvees, etc. Why not to a bunch of ragheads most of the US public don't care about or think caused 9/11? I just wonder who the little 22 year old American taizi is related to...

smartascarrots said:
I can't say I'm terribly surprised, they did similar things to their own lads in the early days - unarmoured humvees, etc. Why not to a bunch of ragheads most of the US public don't care about or think caused 9/11? I just wonder who the little 22 year old American taizi is related to...
Until the public realise that the ragheads are supposed to be supporting Friendly Forces - imagine waht the Coroner would say about said ragheads using sh1t ammo to support us!

Right. I'm going to the States to set up an arms company.

Some of the local Scots have loads of experiance supllying ammo, and they are going to need a job soon. Third of a billion doller contract, I'm there. I'll have no probs getting the contract.

One hotel room for a night. $200
Digital Camera. $150
Hiring MDN for an evening $500

Compromising pictures of a US Senetor. Pricelless.