Amiens and the 100 days

Just finished reading Corrigan's Mud, Blood and Poppycock which is an excellent read but which, although it touches on the final phase of the war doesn't go into any depth. I'm especially interested in the way the British Army squared itself away and mastered the combined arms battle. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?

Last edited:
Nick Lloyd, Hundred Days: The End of the Great War (also found under a slightly different title)

JP Harris, with Niall Barr, Amiens to the Armisitice

David Stevenson, With our Backs to the Wall (covers all of 1918.)

Amongst others...

Last edited:
Thanks mate. I'll give those a go to start with. I tried browsing Amazon - loads to choose from but recommendations are always a better bet.

The Harris/Barr book must be getting a bit rare - it's over £40 on Amazon, which is rather more than it once was...

You can get free stuff on Crustacean activity at Amiens by browsing here and here

And insight into the Canadians here and here, plus from a rather older source here

Just finished John Terraine's "To Win A War". Written in 1978 so well ahead of its time as far as a positive view of possibly the British Army's greatest ever victory.

Just finished John Terraine's "To Win A War". Written in 1978 so well ahead of its time as far as a positive view of possibly the British Army's greatest ever victory.
Good shout. I found a copy on Amazon for £2.80. Can't say no at that price.

Covers the entire year, clearing up any misconceptions of Five British Armies being exhausted needing American support.

I'll go with all of those, especially Paul Harris's.

Add the last two volumes of the Official History (1918, 4 and 5).

There's also a little book by the late Lt Col Kearsey called 'The Battle of Amiens 1918' that compares the action with FSR. It has some interesting questions for the student at the end (with answers).

Chapter 7 of Ian Malcolm Brown's 'British Logistics on the Western Front' is well worth the effort, but get it from a library and photocopy the chapter, the book is £90-odd....

And spread things a little, Paul Greenwood's 'The Second Battle of the Marne 1918'. The precursor to Amiens with a significant contribution by four UK divisions.

I seem to remember No Man's Land by John Toland being quite good, despite him being American.

If anyone is interested I have a PDF of a book that was written in 1919 that covered a dropshort unit from the German spring offensive right up to the armistice send me a PM and I'll email it out.

A Field Artillery Group in Battle, by a Colonel Weber?

Just finished reading Corrigan's Mud, Blood and Poppycock which is an excellent read but which, although it touches on the final phase of the war doesn't go into any depth. I'm especially interested in the way the British Army squared itself away and mastered the combined arms battle. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?
Corrigan is a great old boy, loves a large gin and a chinwag.
Went to my school, about 100 years before I did.
Stood me lunch a few years back at the In and Out.
Rather amusing on his days at the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

Thanks for all the replies gents. Some excellent suggestions. I've ordered the Teraine and Hart books but I'd probably better stop there before I bankrupt myself! What piqued my interest is that my boy is off on a battlefield tour with Cadets in a couple of weeks. Thought I'd better do some reading before he starts asking me searching questions! I know a fair amount about the Great War - probably a great deal more than average - but the campaigns of 1918 have somehow passed me by. Don't get me started on the GCSE curriculum though, it seems to be basically how ghastly the Somme was with a bit of Blackadder thrown in!

Last edited:
Gary Sheffield's "Forgotten Victory" is an eminently readable history of final year of the Great War, concentrating on the British reaction to the German assault and final push to victory. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thanks for all the replies gents. Some excellent suggestions. I've ordered the Teraine and Hart books but I'd probably better stop there before I bankrupt myself! What piqued my interest is that my boy is off on a battlefield tour with Cadets in a couple of weeks. Thought I'd better do some reading before he starts asking me searching questions! I know a fair amount about the Great War - probably a great deal more than average - but the campaigns of 1918 have somehow passed me by. Don't get me started on the GCSE curriculum though, it seems to be basically how ghastly the Somme was with a bit of Blackadder thrown in!
Salonica Italy and Palestine are worth reading up on too.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Gary Sheffield's "Forgotten Victory" is an eminently readable history of final year of the Great War, concentrating on the British reaction to the German assault and final push to victory. I can't recommend it highly enough.
'Forgotten Victory' would get my vote too and Andy Simpson's 'The Evolution of Victory' is worth a look to understand how the British Army developed throughout the war into what it finally became.

It's a shame that the 'Oh What a Lovely War' brigade managed to deliberately distort and dismiss what was, in reality, a remarkable achievement brought about at such great cost - still, at least their view is now being consistently and successfully challenged.

Latest Threads