ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Americas Oldest Living WW2 Veteran

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Joshua Slocum, May 18, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Still Driving, Still Smoking

• Like Like x 7
  2. Does he tell British people how he single-handedly saved our asses in WW2?

• Like Like x 1
  3. NO, but I think that as an African American he is worth listening to, a lot of his friends still lie in France

• Like Like x 12
  4. He fought in the Pacific as a USAAF Construction Engineer building airbases, but thanks for being a throbber

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Why should his being an 'African' American or for that fact an 'American of any sort' make him more (or less) worth listening to?

• Like Like x 5
  6. If he was building airbases, then he wasn't doing much fighting was he?
    Important as building airfields were.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. So Engineers never came under fire? news to those who built Guadalcanal Fighter strips and improved Henderson field, Munda, on Bougainville, on or the Hurricane fields in Burma at Sinthe, Allagappa, Onbauk, Myitche, Sadaung and Mandalay North

• Like Like x 14
  8. How many 109 year old men can you listen to ?
    and people seem to think it was a white boys war
    Lots of Black Dudes gave everything for Freedom, oddly mainly for white dudes ?
    so a bit of respect is not out of order
    luckily I am colour blind

• Like Like x 8
  9. Do some research about the US Pacific campaigns, and island hopping in particular.

Can best be summed up as "F*ck that"

• Like Like x 6
  10. On a related theme, it's a bit of food for thought that the youngest D-Day veteran is 90.*

If the Last Tommy rule is applied (Harry Patch died aged 111), then there will be no living WWII UK veteran by 2038.

*edit: at a push, 89, if he was RN Boy service and (obviously) serving on a ship that was involved in the landings.

Edit: Bad sums error courtesy of @stacker1

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I have a relative who was in Bomber Command
    he is 96
    cant be more than a handful
    his story is worth listening to, and luckily it has been recorded

• Like Like x 5
  12. My mother was a WAAF Sgt.....still going at 94.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I believe that I saw a show on dday 60th anniversary speaking to a coxwain who drove landing craft on to Omaha beach as a 15 year old. He'd be 88

• Like Like x 2
  14. You might want to rephrase that, some of us are eating...

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Possible, I suppose, though helming an LCI at 15 has got to be stretching it a bit.

Then again, even if the old boy's memory is . . . errm . . . generous in the extreme, serving as a quickly pressed crewman at that age is more logical. And equally bum-clenching for someone who's voice has yet to break.

• Like Like x 1