"Americas manufacturing sector is literally disappearing"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20070125-091732-4936r.htm

2. Protectionist rubbish. He's trying to blame all the ills of an industry on unspecified "foreigners" and intergovernmental organisations.

Incidentally (as someone who works as an engineer in manufacturing industry in the UK) reports of it's demise are greatly overstated.
    Jobs aren't a reliable indicator because we are doing more with fewer people than ever before, due to improvements in machine tools.
    Neither is the amount of production going to China - 90%+ of the value of any work sent to China will remain in the UK, while the low prices often mean things that would be uneconomic before become possible. Effectively, the Chinese competition he is ranting about is subsidising UK/US manufacturing for those companies smart enough to realise it.

3. We dont pick cotton anymore either.

4. Well pdf27 you'd better crank up that productivity. 66% Britain's exports are manufactured goods and No2 to the US global trade deficit is Great Britain - a basket case which has not yet started its big oil and gas import binge

6. I was a bit bemused in many places in USA ,I collect fridge magnets from places I have visited, some are very good etc, I found a really good enamel of Niagara Falls , very good work of art on the back "Made in China" , 90 percent of anything I buy in USA and Canada in fact most places nowadays has "made in China" on the back, so it is quite clear that manufacturing is done elsewhere , but there is a benefit, consumer products are cheaper and your Pound/Dollar goes further, ASDA in UK has just started selling the 9 pound DVD player , I was stunned too be honest but I am not complaining.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/?jp=CWSNEYIDOJID&rss=rss1

edit to insert word "Pound" as pound sign don't seem to work

7. Absolutely right. American industry is being exported everywhere. I've watched businesses move their production over the Mexican border, to China, India and Eastern Europe. It will go on.

In the meantime there's a population explosion. What's that going to do to the overall economy and standards of living? There is real economic grief ahead.

8. I work for a large American firm here in Manchester, and their buggering off to Poland, other bits are going to Mexico and probably Brazil, 450 jobs gone from a factory which has been here nearly 100 years, they sold off Germany,Belguim and Denmark plants, all sent to the Eastern Europeans, then they find they cant get enough Polish workers as their all sodding here.

10. All of which may be true, but the fact remains that the '90%+ of the value' will remain in fewer pockets. The pockets will not be those of the traditional workforce, but those of the entrepreneurs and the City. Hence the widenening gap between rich and poor.

Maybe you are advocating that we should all become entrepreneurs. There is something to be said for that, but it does mean that what remains of the former 'State' industries and services such as the NHS will, finally, collapse.

One man's view, of course.

11. Its all very well that the likes of China can supply goods at a very low price (£9 DVD player ) but I think its a tradeoff between quality and price , for example my computer keyboards are £5.85 from Tesco, but I get through one maybe two a month, I have had keyboards costing much more ,still coming from the East, lasting five to six months, I now tend to regard "made in China " as "treat as disposable" . A concern I do have is if and when the west pi$$es off the east, where will our stuff come from then ?
    WW

12. Not to mention the modernisation of production. Computerised, mechanised production lines have inevitably led to a reduction in the required workforce, so using unemployment rates in certain sectors as a gauge for the reduction in production is a bit of a no-brainer.

Profit above all.....if someone will make it cheaper, the CEO will have more to increase his wife's shoe collection.