Americas Cup

She's all over for the US.
They kept losing control and sitting down in the water.
Italy crossed the line at least 3 km in front.
US can now pack up and go home.
UK/Italy race off in the final of the Parada Cup.
Outclassed by Italy and suffering boat problems the U.S team still obtained the speed record of 50+kts a few times during the race.

Sea Wolves - Prada Cup Pre-final special - Race rules + Interview with Luna Rossa foil engineer.

Partial description below. See Youtube page for more details. Show is live now or watch later.
1613153721965.png

Last edited:
Going over the start line early in the first race didn't help either.
There will be errors in some races from both crews. I’m more concerned at the apparent lack of boat speed.

I think this was probably the least favourable conditions for Ineos; LR gets up on its foils better in lighter airs due to its hull shape.

We need more breeze!

A pre-start mistake in both races today by INEOS - sloppy. In the old days, the only way to break a covering boat was to keep tacking - forcing them to do the same. It either forced an error or had them looking over their shoulder rather than the pressure ahead. Also if your manoeuvres were slicker, you'd gain on each tack. With the AC75 - one slip off the foils and the race is lost. It's a much higher risk strategy and Luna Rossa aren't making as many mistakes. They also seem to have the edge in boat speed.

I'm just hoping Ainslie's got another few cards up his sleeve.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Two races just completed today, the POMS won one and lost one.
The results now stand at Italy 5 - UK 1, in the first to 7.
Looking bleak for Ineos, but didn't the Yanks overcome a similar deficit against the Kiwis recently?

Looking bleak for Ineos, but didn't the Yanks overcome a similar deficit against the Kiwis recently?
Yes they did, when they put a certain Sir Ben on board.

I can’t help but feel Ineos have been screwed by the lockdown. The days missed were breezy; now it’s back soft again.

Still, if Prada win, it will have taken them six cups to get to the final. Ineos will come back stronger.

Yes they did, when they put a certain Sir Ben on board.

I can’t help but feel Ineos have been screwed by the lockdown. The days missed were breezy; now it’s back soft again.

Still, if Prada win, it will have taken them six cups to get to the final. Ineos will come back stronger.

Interesting though that Oracle USA's skipper in 2013 was Jimmy Spithill. Spithill was lucky to retain his position after the team were found guilty of cheating in the warm-up series (adding bags of lead pellets). Apart from fines and expulsions, they were awarded a two race deduction from the AC finals - meaning they needed 11 wins, rather than 9. After 5 straight defeats, Ainslie was brought in as replacement nav/tac and they went on to win 11-8.

The only hope INEOS have now is to keep winning the pre-start and first beat - one more mistake and they're toast.

Good result for New Zealand this week; it shows just how hard it is to win this.

So the Royal Yacht Squadron have been accepted as Challenger of Record. There are rumours flying around of a quick challenge; Ineos v ETZ to be held in Cowes. Now that would be special.

I listened to a podcast interview with John Bertrand on The Howie Games this morning. All about Australia II nearly 40 years ago but really interesting