Americas arms warning to Russia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Contrarian, Sep 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The US Defence Secretary says another Russian attack on Georgia once it has joined Nato would result in a US armed response.

It's difficult to put this into context at the moment. Is Gates' comment in response to a journalist's question? If so, then Gates was just answering the question in line with what the organisation's chapters state -- that members of NATO must be defended from external aggression. Or is Gates sabre rattling?

Is now the time to be sabre rattling?
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

How about the right link? Here.

Its election time, isn't it :roll:
  3. Best make sure Georgia doesn't get into NATO then...

If the US is soooo keen to see Georgia defended, why not enter a bilateral defence pact with Tbilisi. Why do the other NATO member states have to carry the can for US foreign policy (mis)adventures?
  4. Apologies. Fixed.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Wooo, that sent a shiver down my spine, but then I remembered that Georgia is not yet a member of NATO.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I think it is a warning of things to come SHOULD we allow Georgia into NATO, and SHOULD Russia take that membership as a hostile gesture.

In truth, I doubt that Russia has the capability to take on the West in a shooting war, and they know it. Despite Russia's new-found wealth, they could not afford to fight us. The West, should it need it, still has HUGE reserves of funds, a huge advantage in kit, and a HUGE industrial capacity to wage war. Russia can no longer rely on the balwark of Eastern Europe, nor it's troops or armaments factories.

On the other hand, NATO hasn't got the troops to hold Iraq and Afghanistan at the same time as taking on Russia. As for counting on the support of other NATO members in a big one with Russia - anyone taking bets?
  6. Think I'd better dig out the Reserve kit...
  7. Probably not, but Bush's lot are such a bunch of pricks, there's no-one left that still gives a fcuk.
  8. They are empty words. The USA is free to sign bilateral defence pact with Georgia just tomorrow and to make the same statement without any mention of NATO.

So we can make some conclusions.

1. The bilateral agreement would not be elaborated and signed.
    2. Russia is allowed by US to invade Georgia until it would be NATO member
    3. Unlikely Georgia ever would be a member of NATO.
  9. Somebody's not going to be too happy with this coming out on the same day...

10. Corrr! All those blankets and tins of baby milk powder are really going to worry the Russians....
  11. Is that all the aid comprises of? That billion will cover a hell of a lot of blankets and tins of formula. And all for a population of just under 5 million people. Price inflation must be a real bastward in Georgia.
  12. They will be if they're infected with smallpox... again. :twisted:
  13. Or come from China. On the other hand, maybe Ivan would be perfectly happy to supply a few tons of that himself.
  14. You clearly don't undertand how cold it gets in Georgia during the winter and what the locals get up to to keep warm.