Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Americans talk too much,

In my travels around the internet I find loads of interesting stuff...but one thing remains constant.....the length of posts varies a lot between posters and the worst offenders are yanks. A two minute occurrance very often means a 10 minute post when a yank is involved. I like short sharp presentations like I was taught in the the military.....stand up, speak up, then shut up.

Edited for brevity.

On the internet I find Interesting stuff..
One thing is constant..
The length of posts varies. The worst offenders are Yanks.
A two minute discussion often means a 10 minute post with a Yank.
I like short presentations.
I was taught to stand, speak, then shut up..

FOC.
People in glass houses etc.
Off you go,

Edited for brevity.

On the internet I find Interesting stuff..
One thing is constant..
The length of posts varies. The worst offenders are Yanks.
A two minute discussion often means a 10 minute post with a Yank.
I like short presentations.
I was taught to stand, speak, then shut up..

FOC.
People in glass houses etc.
Off you go,
Mind you jocks are good at labouring a point as well

If you do any training for professional speaking, one thing you learn is to tell a story, then tell it again, but in less time. You will learn, for example, to tell a story in 15 minutes, then 5 then 2, the point being to ensure the audience understands it regardless of length of time.

You also learn to do it the other way round - a 2 min story in 15. This is very useful when doing corporate talks £1000+ for an hours talking that’s taken you 10 minutes work.

If you do any training for professional speaking, one thing you learn is to tell a story, then tell it again, but in less time. You will learn, for example, to tell a story in 15 minutes, then 5 then 2, the point being to ensure the audience understands it regardless of length of time.

You also learn to do it the other way round - a 2 min story in 15. This is very useful when doing corporate talks £1000+ for an hours talking that’s taken you 10 minutes work.
Exactly. GMF went into this in great detail about his time as an editor on the Glasgow herald.

Having done a few "Talks" to local interest groups , The rule of 45 is invoked, in that , that is the average amount of time before your audience starts to fidget and squirm in their seats. They are paying for your words of wisdom, and 10 minutes doesn't quite cut it. It also helps when your waffling is over. to mingle, shake hands, answer questions, and try and give your hosts value for money. :thumright:

...........and before you ask, all were appertaining to my published wibble in a regional news paper...........

Last edited: