Americans: ruining the English language since 1776

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by SausageDog, Jan 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On another thread I noticed in a US news report the word 'terroristic' was used, which makes my blood boil!

Why do Americans add extra bits to the end of words, say "I could care less" instead of couldn't, and pronounce nuclear "nucular"?

Any other examples of this? Does it bother you or am I just being pedantic?

P.s. There's a prize for the first reply of "I could/n't care less"
  2. 123

123 LE

I couldn't care leless that being said, the nuclear thing:

we pronounce it nuclear, as in new-clear whereas they pronounce it similar to linear - nuclear
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Let's call the whole thing off ....
    • Like Like x 3
  4. You must be a professor of linguistics or something, I'm guessing?

Oh and thanks!!
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well they cant even get their own name right, it should be the Federally Invaded States of America
  6. 123

123 LE

Technically, they are more correct, linguistically.

whats my prize?
  7. The language needs to evolverate, new wordage is added and the pronuciosity will necessarily change.
    • Like Like x 7

8. A bowl of cold sick, I was being sarcastic. What you said doesn't, and never will make any sense whatsoever. Have a word with yourself!!
  9. 123

123 LE

Word being had. You lulled me in with your false promises. Shame on you.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I think the root of it all is that American has been spoken by so many people for whom English was not their first language, or by people for whose parents it was not, and therefore English was not the natural language of their new American home.

It may be an entirely subjective impression, judging basically from old films, but I think the American accent and language has diverged a lot in the last, say, sixty or seventy years.

The last singer they had who enunciated clearly was Frank Sinatra and he was a Wop. Better even than Doris Day who was really a Kraut or Judy Garland whose real name was Gumm. Ironic really.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Fuck right off.

Just because 'most successful' takes longer to type.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ..and while I'm at it, why do they always claim to be Italian, or Irish when they're fourth or fifth generation Americans.

Bud: "I'm always like really good in bed, must be 'cause I'm a fiery blooded Italian stallion!"

Courtney: "like ya! I'm a little hot headed too, I guess because I'm Irish"

Or worse, the ones who claim to be 'half Irish, half Brittish, half Scottish and half Italian' ...all at once! Grrrrrr!
  13. George Bernard Shaw hit the nail on the head.
  14. Do elaborate old chap!

I'm not trawling through his entire works to find out what you're referring to.
  15. Best way, hitting the pointy bit doesn't work too well. He was obviously a bit of a handyman, did he have a shed?
    • Like Like x 5