Americans offered aggressive patrols in Iranian airspace

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Americans offered 'aggressive patrols' in Iranian airspace

The US offered to take military action on behalf of the 15 British sailors and marines held by Iran, including buzzing Iranian Revolutionary Guard positions with warplanes, the Guardian has learned.

In the first few days after the captives were seized and British diplomats were getting no news from Tehran on their whereabouts, Pentagon officials asked their British counterparts: what do you want us to do?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,2051971,00.html

Any opinion Yank bashers?

2. Somebody quite rightly IMHO decided to say "thanks but no thanks" as I believe this would have escalated the situation.

And echoing whitecity, I would also like to know how this could have possibly helped?

3. Looks like you already know the answer...

4. Jolly good of the Yanks I have to say-I've only got an issue with the shaved chimp in charge and the rednecks who support him.

Saying that, the spams are spoiling for a fight and are looking for any excuse to turn Iran into glass.

5. I think it was a nice gesture, quite rightly turned down, but still a show of support from a friend when everyone else..UN..was quietly mumbling sweet FA.

6. Sometimes it's good to know who your friends are....... (even if the actual form of help was misplaced). I also have no doubts whatsoever there would have been a substantial amount of help offered (and accepted) in "other" - less visible ways.

I didn't see our EU/UN partners offering anything remotely approaching this.

7. Same way the carrier groups didn't help?

We can't be sure if they did or not.

8. a generous offer of support. It seems some are never happy. I agree that, with things as they were, the offer should have been declined. however if they started executing them, we no longer have any capability to do much about it, so the offer would have been (almost) the only direct action we could take without simply throwing a small number of tlams at them.

Ski.

9. I have to agree, a nice gesture. There is no doubt it would have placed their own aircrews in serious danger.

I also think the US is looking for a fight with Iran et al. Questions still remain..
    Is war inevitable? If so what are we going to do about the global effects of that?
    Are we now mirroring late 30's Europe, will the EU one day wave a piece of paper in the air and declare peace in our time?
    Should we be looking for our 21st century Churchill?

One things for sure whilst we walk tall and speak softly, we seem to have lost our big stick.

10. So, you think that the US made this offer, albeit ill-conceived and misplaced, out of some genuine concern for the 15?

Or, do you think they were mischeviously using the plight of the 15 to justify escalating regional tensions and deliberately goading the Iranians into responding - and thus 'justifying' significant airstrikes?

Get real!

11. I admit to a fellow feeling for the Septics. Were they Americans captured I'd be wanting us to offer our help. Why wouldn't the Americans feel the same way?

12. I don't know what you are talking, ahmedamurmurmurmur is clearly we well adjusted guy, only looking to contribute in a positive way to the world around him. just like hitler, stalin, mugabe, etc.......

A good post there WH!

Ski.

13. Probably the first thing HMG did was to tell the Yanks to stay out of it as we would like all 15 back alive.

14. how did it get to the point where we no longer have the capability to retrieve our own people without help from the US?

and are we now becoming more and more toothless as the bean counters take away asset after asset which we then rely on the US to provide.