Americans in the RAF WWII

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Red Shrek, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst I take nothing away from the brave Yanks who flew in the Eagle Sqns, your web site link would have us believe the septics won the Battle of Britain.I quote:

"These are the people who kept us free from the Axis"

"The Eagle Squadrons were a Royal Air Force unit composed mostly of foreign volunteers. They had 240 pilots whom were Americans, and other personnel of various nationalities, who defended Britain against Nazi Germany from 1940-1942. "

In reality only 10 Yank pilots were elligible for the Battle of Britain medal
    see link

http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/BofBamericanpilots.shtml

Again I doff my cap to the undoubted bravery of these men, but please don't try and steal our military history, like you did with that bloody awful film U-571.

rant over

2. There is no attempt whatsoever to steal you nations military history. This was a link I put up about a subject I hardly knew about. I did not create the site, I just linked to it because it had the profiles of some of the UK and US pilots who fly in the RAF. Nothing more.

And one more thing, what the heck do I have to do with U-571? I never told you that I worked in Hollywood did I?

3. Actually there is a strong suspicion that some 12 to 14 Americans flew in the Battle of Britain, not the 11 awarded Bars. One was killed in whilst wingman, however the flight was not classes 'operational' so like Peter Ayerst didnt get the bar.

These are not Eagle Squadron members, which is were the confusion arises, Eagle Squadrons didnt form till just after the end of the Battle of Britain.

4. The Battle of Britain per the RAF (but what would they know? Out of their uninformed list of 2’927 men who flew at least one operational sortie, (including Flt. Lt. Blackadder), they list a whole 7 American Nationals – WOW. 8O This must have been kept from the Germans else they would never have attacked. I feel quite sure if my old man had known, when he got his brown envelope he would have written back saying there was no point and saved himself 6 years. :wink:

No.9

5. Again, i think some of you guys are taking this way to personally. This is part of military history that I did not know and I wanted to share. Wheter it was 7 or 1, it is British History and I was only interested in learning this. I am not trying to 'steal' or re-write the Battle Of Britain. This was just a very small group of pilots that went overseas to lend any help they could no matter how little. BoB was one fought by the Brits and one by the Brits and that is not and will never be up for debate on my part.

6. Funny but the RAF are wrong, seeing 11 Americans were awarded the Battle of Britain Bar. Again people are reading about the Eagle Squadrons which werent formed during the Battle of Britain.

Billy Fiske who died during the Battle, actually helped recruitment of Americans, though many were classed by the RAF as Canadians, so many Americans were fighting way before the Eagle Squadrons, though just 'badged' as Canadians.

7. There was one recorded American that fought in the Battle Britain, Seven Eagle Squadrons were formed after the Battle of Britain, and they really got sh*t on by by the Americans when they came into the War. They demanded that these Squadrons should be handed over to American control. Churchill got a agreement that the squadrons would be kept intact after the take over by the Americans. The first thing the Americans did when they took over these Squadrons was to break them up and most of the pilots were shipped back to America never to fly operationally again. Those Americans who wanted to stay in the RAF with the friends that they had made were told that If they did not transfer over to the American Forces at once they would lose all rank and would be called up as private soldiers, if they failed to answer their draft papers then they would be stripped of their American citizenship and would never be allowed back into America again. Now they could not have treated them much worse if they had been flying for Germany

8. Damn!! That was seriously messed up.

9. Yes except more than one american fought in the battle of britain!!

10. Alexander Zatonski 79 squadron
    billy Fiske 601 squadron
    Carl R. Davis
    Vernon C. Keough
    Andrew Mamedoff
    Eugene Q. Tobin
    Phillip H. Leckrone
    Arthur G. Donahue
    John K. Haviland
    Hugh W. Reilley (64 and 66 Sqds)
    De Peyster Brown

Are the Americans who FLEW in the Battle of Britain, all awarded the Battle of Britain Clasp

Three Eagle Squadrons made up of exclusively of American pilots were formed between September 1940 and October 1941. These were No 71, 121 and 133 Squadrons. Of all the Americans who flew in the Eagle Squadrons - 244 - over 50% were WIA, KIA or POWs by the time the 4th FG was established in the US 8th Air Force.

11. When did that happen, my grandfather flew with an American officer who had been in the raf and then changed into a US army uniform and carried on his tour, this was during the malta seige.

Trotsky

12. In the late autumn of 1942 the USA had fully entered the war in Europe and the three RAF "Eagle" Squadrons were transferred to the 8th US Air Force and became the 4th Fighter Group. The promise not to transfer any members away lasted a month. Around 1/2 were transferred to other units, back to the states to train other pilots soon after becoming officers in the 8th Air Force. Initially the 4th FG continued to fly Spitfires till they were re-equipped with P-47 Thunderbolts.

13. Trotsky........It was after the Americans took over they went after those who where still in the RAF. Agreed that a few of them did stay and see the war out with the RAF and further action was ever taken against them even though they had ignored all those threats.

14. I know he and my Grandfather became tactical advisors after their squadron went home, after that the amercian fades out of the picture (my grandfather died a few years ago and so I can't ask him) my grandfather became the bloke in charge of saying "The radio is not the place for private Polish chit chat" in his next job.

Trotsky