americans in the army

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Logan89, May 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering what people think about americans in the british army. I read another post that kind of touched on the subject. Just wondering what people think about it, and if they ever knew any.

2. Since when are Americans in the British Army? Its not a possibility is it?
    I was under the belief that you had to be a British or Commonwealth citizen to serve.

why would any yank want to serve Britain when they had a war of independance against us?
    Is this actually something you have heard of or are you just looking for people to slam the American army? if so say so, its bad form.

3. no ive heard of people marrying british women and joining the british army. they get their citizenship from there marriage.

4. Come over here stealing our women!
    what ever next?
    not our sense of humour, black pudding or...or...bitter? NOOOO! not on my watch!

That doesnt sound too good though. whats theyre investment in defending our country? Or maybe they just miss theyre guns.
    still its a bit weird.

5. Don't let any of them in! They wouldn't let me join theirs.

6. i dont see why they wouldnt. there are a shit load of mexicans who arent citizens in the us army.

7. Why would you want to?
    before we get carried away, does anyone actually know anyone who has done this? or is this just hear say?

i believe with all the many forms i filled in when applying that it said someting along the lines of "must be a british or commonwealth citizen for at least 5 years" (not sure on number of years).

so a possible scenario would go
    so a yank meets an english woman (how we dont know) when he's 21 (after uni perhaps)
    he dates her for several years (lets say 4) he asks her to marry him at 25
    he gets his citizenship at 26
    he waits 5 years (perhaps) during this time he makes the odd decison to serve a country thats not his- hes now 31 and too old to join the army correct.

8. I read about it happening during the world wars, but even now i cant imagine that somewhere in the armed forces there arent any americans

9. I dont see why not, do you really think anamerican is going to pledge allegiance to the queen, and even if the they did they wouldnt mean it.

as for the the americans in the world wars, no one was that picky most restrictions were lifted as ther was a world war on.

if your going to fight for another country you might as well be a mercenary, frankly i dont think most british soldiers would trust an american 100%

10. Most actually joined the Canadian Army/RCAF/RCN not the British Army/RAF/RN

11. lets say that an american get married yo a british woman and has kids and lives 100% in the uk. If the UK went to war do you honestly think he wouldnt at least try to join.

12. I've read stories on here of British Lads who have successfully joined the American Army.

I also remember in training being told by one of the full-screws about an American Sgt who joined the British Army, apparently he was one of the worst shots he'd ever seen.

13. I've read stories on here of British Lads who have successfully joined the American Army, so I'm not surprised if it goes the other way around.

I also remember in training being told by one of the full-screws about an American Sgt who joined the British Army, apparently he was one of the worst shots he'd ever seen.

14. I remember about 2002 time bumping into a 2 Para officer who was American. I also remember reading a Newspaper article that gave a run down of foreigners serving in our forces and I think there may have been 10 or so American's serving with us.

15. I vaguely recall some American lad in training when I did CMSR...His dad was half-colonel in the US Army.
    I felt sorry for the lad, he took a lot of sh!t for being American.
    It was definitely 24 Irish Bty, April of 91, I can't remember what troop he was. I was in Marne so he must have been one of the other troops.
    Don't know what became of him, I don't know if he even passed out.