Americans in a minefield. Literally

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Muntie McSporrin, Jun 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They kept their cool and stayed focused--even the casualty did after getting assistance. Good job in a difficult situation.
  2. Some great features on that site. Particularly the ones about Afghan marksmanship. I'd recommend them 100%.
  3. It was a BTR-60 Hull but thanks for this quite interesting
  4. Right you are. Cheers.

As Virgil says about how cool and calm they were... It gave me the willies, actually. Not that I expected them to be screaming like a bunch of teenagers, but it just seemed so damn routine. That poor fecker lost his leg, and he's probably one of a dozen that happens to, week in week out.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whats so chilling is the fact that the blast was tiny in comparisom to an IED yet ruined 2 persons lives and wounded 2 others, who says mines arent effective?
  6. Anyone who signed up the Ottawa Treaty! ;-)
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Company commander showing the Peter Principle is still around.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think that's more of a hope that ours won't be used against us in the future, come a real world war and we would be making them faster than the MoD with P45s
  9. Speaking of the "size" of the thing, we had these in Vietnam but due to careless accounting for them (including troops shedding various bits of kit as they struggled along on patrols) unfortunately more use was made by our enemy of them. Very effective unfortunately.

10. You are correct. The trouble was that unlike a proper minefield surveyed in and mapped, these things were scattered around by various means and I hazard a guess they took more American "toes" than anyone else's. Those were in the analog days before built in deactivation mechanisms.
  11. Really? seemed like a good CO to me what would you do Field Marshall?
  12. It is easy to criticize when watching through Youtube someone else trying to function in extremis .
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I remember getting trained on those things.

I would think however that what they stepped on was probably a russian PMN-2 if they've been found in theater. It's Afghanistan so I assume that place is anything goes. The explosion looked fairly big with at least a 24+ inch hole he was in and those mines have 4-5 times the amount of explosive in them as a toe popper does.

One thing I found interesting is that after the first one went off and got the report that they heard nothing from the device, but from the video it appears that they continued to rely on the sweepers. I know that time is of the essence as usually where there is a mine field there is also an ambush or over-watching enemy positions.

I wonder, do they still train to use bayonets as the ad hoc mine clearing method? Retracing steps is one thing, but I think I would have had mine out clearing a route back down the hill when the first one went off or at least assigned a guy to do it while the others covered. True hindsight is 20-20 but in thinking that training usually overrides is it something still trained or fallen out of fashion?
  14. 052-192-1042 (SL1) - Perform Self-Extraction from a Mined AreaStandards: Self-extract from a mined area, by foot or from a vehicle, under the following conditions without causing personal injury or mine detonation. When footprints are clearly visible, when footprints are not clearly visible (stepping-stone and lane technique), and from a vehicle. Locate, mark, and bypass each trip wire and mine within the area probed. Remove enough soil to confirm the presence of a mine. Report the mined area information to higher headquarters.

Note: The acronym for stop, assess, note, draw back, inform (SANDI) is used to remember the sequence of events for extraction. Stop and gain control of yourself. Assess the situation of mines or booby traps and personnel. Note the situation for future reference. Draw back to the last known safe area. Self-extraction to the nearest safe area may be referred to as draw back. Inform higher headquarters of the situation. The letters from the acronym will be reinforced throughout this task and represented with bold letters