Americans if you are visiting Liverpool

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by semper, Mar 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. you may find this of interest especially if you are interested in Confederate States of America history, Liverpool has an unoffical Confederate Embassy in Liverpool and the local shipyards built Ships for the CSA, CSS Albama which was famous for their exploits against the USA was built there, President Jefferson Davies also visited Liverpool during his tour of Great Britian, I have only just come across this recently and thought i may be of interest to you chaps.
  2. Why does the scene from Trainspotting from the first day of the Edinburgh festival (where the protagonists follow an American tourist into the bogs to give him a thorough shoeing and nick his cash) spring to mind? :D
  3. Bumped into a septic in the albert dock the other day looking for Canary Wharf. Was well and truly gob smacked!
  4. Are you suggesting Liverpool is filled with junkies? :winkrazz:
  5. I will only visit Liverpool if and only if 5 midgets in confederate battle dress sing Dixie Land while pleasuring an ardvarks backbottom with hot sauce.

O, I wish I was in the land of cotton
    Old times there are not forgotten
    Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.

Otherwise I hear the city is crap and gave us the everlasting Yoko Ono, if it wasn't for John the slag would be turning tricks and her port of entry would fit the USS Nimitz.
  6. If you ever walk around Liverpool, you will find similarities to New York, have been to both cities and sometimes I can see both cities in each other, San Francisco doesn't have any Liverpool feel, whereas New York does, I believe some films like the new Alfie (Jude Law) was filmed in Liverpool as some locations does mirror NY, 51st State (called Formula 51 in USA) was filmed in Liverpool, if you watch that, you see some element of USA in it.

considering the regular sailings between the two cities that is probably not surprising, also Central Park was inspired by Birkenhead park which is on the other side of the river and the NY Elevated railway was also modeled off the Liverpool Overhead Railway.

7. Yes-both cities think their sense of humour is the best on the planet.

Also had my car nicked in both, it's not the capital of culture in '08 for nowt y'know! :thumright:
  8. No, San Francisco gets the blame for that.

The final act of the American Civil War happened in Liverpool on 6th November 1865, when the last fighting unit of the Confederacy, the CSS Shenandoah surrendered to HMS Donegal.
  9. something for you Americans you will recognise the name no doubt.

Tarleton's Birthplace Liverpool, GB

Tarleton's Birthplace, Fenwick street, Liverpool, GB
  10. I recognize the place alright. I lost me virginity under that sign.
  11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Is that near Exchange Flags ;) Kinda suitable for MHQ ;)
  12. yep It is about 150 yrds from the Liverpool Town Hall
  13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

My dad's offices were on Water Street....and I seem to recall some building by the courts ;) I like that end of town, used to go to The State on Dale Street in the 80s. Did you know (this might not be true!) that Exchange Flags was a commodities market at one time? Thats what I was told, might be true.
  14. to add to the above , one of the main commodities it traded in was Slaves , perhaps it could have been named if it was a building, Slave Exchange Market Building :nod:
    surprised it wasn't marked there, if you get chance to go to Liverpool Maritime museum, there is an exhibition downstairs about the Slave triangle, lots of interesting facts get thrown up.

Its amazing how well it is coming on since the 80s which is when it really hit rock bottom, the film Boys from the Blackstuff was filmed here as the impact of unprecedented massive unemployment was deeply felt here, as well as the Toxteth Riots, it has gradually improved, the capital of culture of 2008 is bringing in much needed investment money, as well as the annual Mathew Street Festival every August bank holiday weekend celebrating the Beatles connection, there is a lot to see and we have some fantastic countrysides, Manchester and Wales is not very far either.

unfortunately house prices have since risen a great deal.