Americans! how to handel the British

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ParanoidHal, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My mate came back from iraq a few months ago and he told me that the yank out there are given a manual/book/leafet on how to act/deal with english soldiers serving along side them. some of the stuff this was ment to contain was classic

e.g don't gamble with the english
    don't fight the english you WILL lose

things like that i just wanted to know if 1. this is true and 2. what else does this book contain ?

2. This dates back to WW2 and I would be very suprised if they were issued a booklet like that while in Iraq!
    edited to add Wah-ometer has picked up a reading.

3. How to Handel the Brits?

Play them the Messiah!

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Beat me to it!

5. Or the entire Water Music suite, keep them quiet for hours

6. I was given a reprinted copy of the handbook given to US forces in 1942 as an introduction to the UK. Not quite as amusing as your possible examples. :D

It does remind me of the tale of the MP who read from captured Chinese instructions during the Korean War. Something along the lines of;

"If at night you see a hill that is totally silent and dark don't go there because it is a British position."

7. I was under the impression this was a joke, they were selling spoof copies last year in debenhams at christmas, could be wrong though.

8. jeees...really,

i heard something like this existed in WW2, Korea, BAOR, GW1, Bosnia....but didn't know they'd got them in iraq too...

Oddly enough, i've yet to meet enough a living sole who's ever seen one

9. NO HONESTLY THIS IS WHAT MY MATE TOLD ME WHEN HE CAME BACK SOUNDS A BIT FALSE TO ME THOUGH

10. Its only english soldiers serving out there?? Well feck me!! Where have they posted the scottish, welsh and irish lads? Somewhere nice is it? :roll:

11. MY BAD -BRITISH/UK FORCES
    LOL

12. SO NO ONE ELSE HAS HEARD OF THIS FROM IRAQ THEN NO?, SO I'M OFFICALLY CLAIMING BULLSHIT TO MY MATE LOL

13. Laugh you may, but there is strong speculation that G F Handel wrote most of our bugle & trumpet calls. He didn't do the words, though - as Lousy Lou was after his time.

14. The is a reprint of a manule given to US service personel going to he UK, but it is more about the money, beer and how London cabs can turn in small roads. Its actually quite interesting.

15. Methinks there is an element of truth here. I've got a copy of the (reprinted) 1942 booklet " Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain, 1942: Reproduced from the Original Typescript, War Department, Washington, DC" whic does tell our Colonial Cousins how to 'play nice'

As for more recent times, I'm pretty sure my nephew (ex-matelot) has got a laminated card issued to septic sailors when his ship visitied The Colonies on the way back from the Falklands. It has good advice along the lines of: do not drink with, fight with, dare or challenge a British serviceman - you will lose