Americans bomb Great Barrier Reef

BBC News - US jets dropped bombs on Great Barrier Reef

Well - to be accurate, yanks dump bombs near Great Barrier Reef when their Harriers have a glitch. Wonder if they were some of the low mileage, one careful owner Harriers they bought for such a bargain price off Dodgy Dave?

(and sorry, I couldn't find a way to work SLR's into this thread).

That reef ******* deserved it. Sitting there all reefy and shit. What has it ever done for anyone? The ****.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Well - to be accurate, yanks dump bombs near Great Barrier Reef when their Harriers have a glitch. Wonder if they were some of the low mileage, one careful owner Harriers they bought for such a bargain price off Dodgy Dave?

Makes up for the dodgy 4 funnel V&W destroyers that the septics charged us so much for in 1940.

BBC Website said:
US fighter jets dropped inert bombs on the Great Barrier Reef off Australia's coast during a training exercise that went wrong, it has emerged.
There's the normal journalist foodfest going on about this. Unless I'm missing something the aircraft dropped a couple of lumps of metal (perhaps with added concrete) away from any coral. Quite what damage that's supposed to do to anything (unless there was an unfortunate diver under them at the time) beats me.

Have journalists given up researching anything?

Bombs missed the reef by 16 miles apparently!

Are they sure it wasn't the RAF practicing runway denial?

Or the Australian cricket team practicing their bowling for that matter!

I can only assume the GBR was reported by Intel as being an oil-rich Islamist country, with a non-democratic government...

What would an IT firm have to do with it?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

On a serious note, this just shows how pathetic the press are....trying to sensationalise something of absolutely no importance to sell their story etc.

Must be a ******* slow news day....This is fairly common practice,if a jet has to return with the bomb load then it has to safe drop the bombs so it can land as it has to be under a certain weight to land,it also dumps fuel as well.The leaping heap has to do it because of going into the hover to land on a carrier uses a lot of fuel & water to maintain lift.
When Gulf 1 ended,we had a lot of jets that had to return with full bomb loads,so the bombs were dropped either in the gulf or the desert....

Makes up for the dodgy 4 funnel V&W destroyers that the septics charged us so much for in 1940.
It was the Rubin James class of four stackers they leased to us in exchange for an empire. The V&W's were are own WW1 rusty leaking leftovers.

"Originally, the bombs, two inert and two unarmed explosive bombs" I can only assume that the 2 unarmed bombs were indeed HE, but because they were jettisoned as opposed to dropped the lanyard which is attached to a pin in the arming device was not pulled therefore they were "safe". Just don't go scuba diving in that area!