Americanisms embraced in Oz

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by ctauch, Jul 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "We may lose a few words but we're also creating new ones: budgie-smugglers, for instance - a slang term for men's swimming trunks."

:D

2. A slight modification of the American term for said items....we have refered to them as grape smugglers for years

3. Budgie smugglers? Never heard of that one.....
    Cheers,
    11B

4. Budgie smugglers is so old even my mum had heard it used in the 1960s. Dunny was specifically a stand alone can based outhouse so of course most people don't use it unless they still have them. Rural areas still use more traditional slang than metro areas because well.........they are all a little slow out there.

This article gets dragged out every few years out here *yawn* about the rise of spamspeak and the decline of strine.

Strewth mate! Chuck another prawn on the barby, and crack open a tinny from the esky, I'm as dry as a dead dingo's donger. Deadset!

:roll:

5. Now Miz that just gave me wood....I love it when wimmin talk dirty :)

6. roosville testing

7. FFS Armadillos give you wood not to mention Opossums, Raccoons, Aardvarks, Grits, Jewish Pensioners from New York, Trailer Parks, Corpse and corpses, and a whole multitude of household appliances. :roll:

8. Guilty as charged...now where did I leave that goat? :D