American UOTC?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by noakesy, Apr 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm thinking of going to Salford uni to do war studies and join the UOTC, there is the opportunity to go to either American/ Western Europe/ Australia/ New Zealand in the second year to continue your studies. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there are UOTC's in any of these places? I couldn't find any information on them.

    Cheers for any help

  2. They have a thing called ROTC in many American universities. I believe it's more aligned to people who want to join teh US army after university though.
  3. Thanks, there's a minimum service of 8 years in the army afterwards though, and I definitely don't want to do that! I'll have a look at the other countries.
  4. RP578

    RP578 LE Book Reviewer

    Only 3 of which are full time active duty. The rest is spent on Individual Ready Reserve. You also have the option of serving in the Army Reserve or National Guard.
  5. Thanks for that :) but I was thinking of doing it for the experience, I don't want to serve in the US army.
  6. If you join the UOTC at Salford, it isn't beyond the powers of MoD admin (but may be too difficult for your CoC - PM msr, I'd suggest) for you to get an attachment to the US university ROTC, if they have one, to train with them (and even still be paid by HMQ) without the contingent liability. It has happened before (as it has with TA over in the States for a while and the USNG.)
  7. It's pretty easy in fact. You just need to get your parent unit (i.e. UOTC) to agree to pay your MTDs whilst over there.

    The biggest hassle is getting the paperwork through Div, LAND, and then the US bureacracy.
  8. There is a guy at my UOTC who just came back from a year with ROTC, so it is definitely possible.
  9. IMHO HQ LF and the US Embassy aren't the problem because the people there generally know what to do and who to talk to. Bde and below is where most of the delay lives mainly because it isn't what they do day-to-day and it is possible for a complete rotation of staff officers to occur before one of these crops up. Result: nothing much in the way of corporate memory.
  10. Noaksey, I've met UOTC uni students who have done an exchange program at University of Sydney and paraded with Sydney University Regiment alongside the ARes Staff Cadets. Bond, a fairly regular poster here on ARRSE, almost certainly knows one of the people in question as she was in SUR with him. Bond himself managed to spend some time with a UOTC when he was at Leeds (?) for a semester.

    Bond - you able to contribute?
  11. If you do get your posting with the Yanks wear your own uniform rather than the American one. Claim your Gucci Kit (Shemagh, MTP etc) is a battle honour so the ultra strict US Uniform rules can be flouted, and start practicing your Eton, Sandhurst and Guards accent which will enable you to get laid - a lot.

    The downside of all this is you have to make sure you're fitter and more knowledgeable than them. Most of those guys will be future US Army Officers and you don’t want their impression of the British to be the retard in their UOTC. In short don't let your uniform down.

    Ah to be a young um' again.
  12. Wow, thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like it'll be brilliant, I'm doing lots of running now so I should be in reasonably good shape by the time i'm in my second year so I shouldn't let the uniform down! Do you think they'd let me wear British uniform as an attached British UOTC member, or would I just be that bloke with the weird accent?
  13. The Yank Platoon Commander at RMAS Sandhurst wears Woodland rather than DPM. The Aussie Platoon Commander was wearing that wierd Auscam rather than DPM. The Americans are not paying you, HM Government is. You should therefore imho wear the Queens Uniform. We don't switch into CADPAT when we go to BATUS.

    Of course this is a pain in the jacks when you put a hole in your trousers, so take spares.
  14. Sounds great, and yeah taking spairs sounds like a good plan, now I just need to get into the UOTC in the first place.
  15. Travelgall is correct. The only circumstances in which you can wear their kit is in an emergency (loss of kit at short notice), when the training risk assessment requires a different order of kit (eg desert) which you have not been issued or where there is no available source of other safety-related equipment (ie you wouldn't be expected to take your own body armour).

    These rules apply to clothing systems; you'd be fine with their PLCE (in its generic sense). In any event, you must wear your UK rank insignia (and your own regimental headdress) although it is not uncommon for the septics to ask you to wear a representative US set as well in order to prevent confusion amongst their own ranks.

    But, like you said, you have to get into the UOTC first...