American Soldier Shot at Frankfurt Airport

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stooge, Mar 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Frankfurt airport shooting: Two dead and two injured

BBC News - Frankfurt airport shooting: Two dead and two injured

Not a nice development in the fatherland.
  2. Saw the report on the evening news. The perpetrators motives are not yet known. He is currently "helping the GCP with their enquiries".

Although you say it is not a nice development in the Fatherland, it is not exactly new. Terrorists, criminals and various oddballs have been taking pot shots at US personnel and planting bombs in their barracks for as long as I care to think back. As an aside Frankfurt was until about 10 years ago Uncle Sams Gateway to Europe or at least that is what a large sign above the main gate proclaimed.
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Like there is any other possible motive? Unless his Sister was 'tapped' by a Yank on tour about 15 years ago. Or his Mum.

I regularly see Septics travelling in full uniform or with jar-head haircuts, or issued camelbak backpacker. Sometimes all of the above. I commented to an oppo that they never quite grasped the concept of travelling incognito unlike we did during N.Ireland. That said, loads of our Officers travel business class in uniform, usually having some crow to pick them up at the airport. Knowing the kind of people who hang around airports, it wouldn't be too hard for someone to hose a few of our lot down. I'm rather surprised it hasn't happened already.
  4. Thats gratitude for you, NATO helps set up an independant Kosovo and this is the thanks in reply. Now with a bit of crude profiling I'll guess at the religon........

May be wrong but the Serbs dont have form.
  5. News media in the US are saying the killed and wounded were all USAF, not USA. Also, the reports say the personnel involved were based at Lakkenheath AFB in the UK.
  6. Except in the case of Jill Dando.

Right, where's my tinfoil hat?
  7. ABC News in the US says the shooter was Arif Uka, a Kosovo citizen from thetown of Mitrovica,

USAF has put a 24 hour embargo about identification of names or ranks of the USAF personnel killed and wounded.
  8. 2 US airmen killed in Frankfurt airport shooting - Yahoo! News

They are Albanian name and surname. Likely he was angry that remaining Serbs in Kosovo were not expelled.
  9. How long have you squirreled away that info for the right moment?
  10. RIP the fallen. Condolances to family and friends.

Just hope this is'nt the start of a "trend"...
  11. To think that some 7 or so years ago that was the greater part of my work - carting US servicemembers from their base areas to and from the airport at Frankfurt. So, if they are using Terminal 2 that must mean the old Frankfurt AFB (on the other side of the runways) has finally closed down. I do recall that in 2003 it was probably easier to get into a nun's pussy than into Frankfurt AFB!

So, what's with the air terminal in Ramstein AFB these days? Construction was almost complete in early 2004 and, up to a point, it was already in use as such.

Also intriguing is that these guys are allegedly from Lakenheath, which, like Ramstein, also has a runway! Is the USAF so short of its own troop lift capability?
  12. I'm not sure if that is the case today but when I was in I traveled to Korea on civilian transport instead of military, even when I took Space A at Osan it was still a civilian jet.

I can only speculate that it may have to do with military aircraft flying over various countries vs civilian flights for international travel?
  13. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

No shit. Most Kosovan names are. As for the second bit, you are a mind reader now as well as a habitual poster of headlines?
  14. mmmmmmmmmmm
  15. Frankfurt attack was 'Afghanistan revenge' - Yahoo! News

Mmmm... Was it right to bomb Yugoslavia and occupy Kosovo to be "thanked" this way?