Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

American Politics?

Your attempt at an informed and intelligent reply is to be lauded. But sadly again it misses the point. But as it’s a slow day at work I’ll help you out.

Me a hero? No way! I just did my job as a Combat Infantrymen. I'm just a War Veteran as well, as a veteran of Infantry Combat, in the Korean war. The real heros didn't come home or if they did, it was in a casket.

The only decorations that I got worth mentioning, was the Purple heart and the combat Infantry badge. Of the two, the CIB means the most to me.

Really! The way you go on about all your Special Forces, Korean war and decorations and awards I thought you at least had the MoH or Silver Star!! We really couldn’t care less and don’t want to hear how you saved the free world. If someone wants to know about your service they will ask. The only exceptions are if its a funny story or an anecdote that is relevant to the thread.

I have said this before, we americans treat the profile, as a place to sort of give a person an idea of the experience and military background of the individual, so that one can determine ones background and expertise in the subjects he/she is discussing. No brags involved.

Well we are not American, surely you’ve heard the expression ‘when in Rome’? You have no 'right' to know anything about anyone but for some reason feel we need to inform you of our service etc. If you want to know what expertise a person has or if their view should be considered or discarded either ask them a direct question or go and read back some of their previous posts. Then you can form a considered opinion on whether that person is full of it or bothers to engage intelligently on the subject. Prevents you from making yourself look like an idiot when you say something which turns out to be wrong because you failed to look beyond the surface, we’ll get back to that in a minute.

I know that this isn't done here for some say OPSEC; however, IMHO one could provide some data in the profile without giving away to much.

In some cases this would be true but generally as I’ve said we don’t brag about our service. Considering you've been around here about a year and made over 1500 posts you don't seem to pick things up very quickly.

One advantage you Brits have, is that many of you know each other, as well as some of the details about the individual in question. They in many case know if one is a combat veteran, One who served, with no combat experience, (Cold War Warrior.) The type of job or Regiment, Civilians who have never served, etc. On occasion, you even meet for Pub crawls, etc.

I know about 4 posters on here in real life but in fact take the time to read what someone says and then based on what I read I place them on the worth listening to, has a few good ideas, funny or ********. It’s all about gathering information then making an informed choice – this is where you seem to fall down all the time.

We Americans don't have this luxury. The only thing we 'get' rather rapidly, are those posters that are ant-american and never miss a chance to nit-pick anything an American posts here and attack them with rude crude personal remarks. Then you wonder why we respond in kind.

While there are some anti types around here don’t make the mistake of taking criticism as anti Americanism. There’s quite a few spams who fit right in here such as Tankies Yank, Chief Joseph and California Tanker for example, who have taken the time to engage in an intelligent way. And considering you are about 50 years older than CJ I would have expected you to be a little bit better informed and able to interact with others without putting everybodies back up all the time.

It for the most well known to many Americans here, who will do this any chance they get. I could give you the list, but you are quite aware of who does that since, you are one of them.

Coming back to the bit about you failing to inform yourself and so calling me Anti American you would have done well to go back and read some of my previous posts and you would have seen this:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1034018.html#1034018

And just as an aside here is you doing exactly what you complained about earlier – because they weren’t a General that their opinion on one is not worth listening to. But you seem to know better than a former 4 star general but weren’t you only a Cpl?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1067397.html#1067397

So in summary, read before you post, try and be a little more polite and look up a sense of humo(u)r, you don’t seem to understand what it is, helps a lot round these parts. And remember I didn't form this view of you overnight - I didn't get up one day and think today I'm going to have a go at Trip Wire. I formed it based on your posts over a period of time. So think about it and learn from it. Or you could just come back with some borish rant about how great you are and how stupid I am....

As I have said it is not your nationality that marks you out for attention its your attitude. If you were English I’d still be saying the same things, if you behave like an uninformed petulant teenager expect to get treated like one.

Chin Chin or should that be have a nice day….

Ord_Sgt:

I will not bother to reply to your rather lengthy rant, as it consists of the same old crap, that you spread here time after time. I have heard it all before from you. Taking on your rant point by point here, would be redundant. I standby what I said.

I see no value, to keeping this tit-for-tat exchange going on here. I'm sure other ARRSE members, are tired of it and bored with such exchanges. I know I am.

I did think; however, that the last time you mentioned that I was 'only a Cpl.' and I called you on it, that you learned that it wasn't correct. I retired as a 'Master Sgt.' (E-8) from the US Army.

Of course, like most enlisted soldiers in the US Army, I progressed through the ranks, PVT., PFC, CPL, Sgt. (E-5) S/Sgt. (E-6) SFC. (E-7) and finallly for me (MSG) Master Sgt. (E-8). During my tenure as a MSG, I served a couple of thimes as a Company's First Sgt. (The same stripes w/ a diamond in the middle.)

Of course, I almost forgot, I had to re-earn a stripe or two, when I left the Army for the Air Force then returned to the Army. :frustrated:

As I recall, in the era that I made Cpl. in the rank really meant something, especially in the Infantry. Now days it just isn't the same! :thumbdown:

hillary.jpg

Good old Trip – your rapier like wit strikes again. As expected when things get difficult for you to understand call it a rant and shove your head in the sand. Pretty much what I expected and speaks volumes about you.

Really, Master Sgt (oooo look at her) jesus, I would have made 4 stars at least had I joined your mob. When you made Cpl the requirement can’t have been much more than a pulse and the IQ of a house brick before handing out the stripes if they promoted you. Damn if you’re a poster boy for US special forces I’m surprised they could fight their way out of a wet paper bag, but still US SF back then wasn’t that special was it.

A long and full life usually improves a person as they age – if you’re such a twat in your twilight years you must have been a real ignorant dick when you were younger. Life is partly a learning experience but you didn’t really take that bit in did you.

Still you provide amusement for some of us when it’s a slow work day. Every cloud has a silver lining etc…

Since when do Americans say cunt?

Never mind though.

Trip_Wire, just keep your service history quiet. Believe me, its just not the done thing.

Sshhhh, We're British. Its how we do things.

Trip_Wire said:
Feel better Ord_Sgt?

What a cnut!

Always feel good just bored at work and besides I have you to entertain me with your speshull forces stories.

But thanks for asking ;)