Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

American Politics?

More on SF growth:

http://www.defenselink.mil/News/NewsArticle.aspx?id=3199

More Special Ops Troops Will Better Answer Global Needs, Official Says
(Source: US Department of Defense; issued Feb. 27, 2007)

Vice Adm. Olson:

ARLINGTON, Va. --- Special Operations forces will grow by 17,000 active-duty members over the next six years, a senior military official said today at the 18th annual Special Operations and Low-Intensity Conflict Symposium here.

“We are fielding … the largest growth in special operations history without sacrificing quality along the way,” Navy Vice Adm. Eric T. Olson, deputy commander of U.S. Special Operations Command, said.

The admiral said SOCOM’s role has been enlarged since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. In 2003, “the secretary of defense said, ‘I hereby designate special operations the lead combatant commander for planning, synchronizing and, as directed, conducting defense activities against terrorists and their networks,’” Olson said. “This was a huge charter for us.”

Military planners are using a carefully vetted threat model to develop direct and indirect strategies in combating terrorism, he said. “The direct approach is the one that gets the headlines,” he said. “It’s often kinetic and sometimes violent; it’s about finding terrorists and engaging them directly in order to render their networks less effective.

“Most importantly,” he said, “the direct approach buys us time for the other, longer-term, indirect approach.”

The indirect approach changes the environment by building U.S. partners’ capabilities, reducing local support to prevent terrorist safe havens, and eroding underlying conditions that contribute to terrorism, he said.

Olson cited the Jan. 28 battle in Najaf, Iraq, that reportedly killed 200 insurgents, to illustrate special operations’ direct and indirect approaches. “The Iraqi military forces attacked on their own and fought for 45 minutes before the arrival of the first U.S. forces, which was the Special Forces A-Team,” he said.

“That A-Team commander took charge of his piece of it and contributed as best as he could,” Olson said. “He posted snipers, called in fixed-wing air support (and) began to turn the tide of what had been sort of an inconclusive fight.”

Snipers picked off targets, a quick-reaction force arrived, and the A-Team coordinated what became a more complex fight that “ultimately became a significant victory,” Olson said.

“The Iraqi forces provided most of the manpower and most of the fighting forces,” he said. “It was Iraqi forces that had been trained by U.S. forces; (they) responded quickly, took initiative to launch their own assault; … and they were there as the victors.

“The beauty of this is that it all worked,” Olson said. “That is a complex international incident that we would not have thought possible not too long ago.”

Efforts to deny terrorists safe havens in Iraq and Afghanistan are important, Olson said, but the global threat is not limited to those two countries.

“Direct and indirect activities must be carefully synchronized to be most effective,” he said. “To help synchronize these efforts, SOCOM, other agencies in departments of our government and our partner nations are beginning to build a global combative terror network.”

The admiral cited the 2002 U.S.-Philippine combined action against the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group as an example of the international cooperation needed to effectively combat the common threat.

“Terrorists in the southern Philippines associated with the al Qaeda network (were) an intimidating presence for many years until the arrival of American forces led by Army Special Forces,” he said.

U.S. Special Operations Forces there trained and assisted Filipino forces, Olson said. “At the end of the day, through persistent military training and local humanitarian efforts, Abu Sayyaf was essentially run off Basilan Island, and they’re struggling now to make their presence known in other areas of the Philippines.”

The struggle there continues, but it was “a great local success of a different flavor and another powerful demonstration of how this is coming together as a synchronized global effort,” he said.

SF growth...can you get pills for that? Because I thought this thread had suddely become about how high one could pee up the wall?

I reckon even tho' she might have to tip forward with her back facing the wall, Hilary would win...

Gent's please limit yourself to attacking each others ideas.
If a point is well made, and increases my knowledge, I couldn't care less where it came from.

Now then.

When are you colonial chappies going to stop messing about and elect this Rudy Guilliani fellow then?
I think he's the one man in the US who couldwin over D and R voters.
To be honest, I'm rather surprised he's not the Pres. instead of Dubya!

gennithmedic said:
Gent's please limit yourself to attacking each others ideas.
If a point is well made, and increases my knowledge, I couldn't care less where it came from.

Now then.

When are you colonial chappies going to stop messing about and elect this Rudy Guilliani fellow then?
I think he's the one man in the US who couldwin over D and R voters.
To be honest, I'm rather surprised he's not the Pres. instead of Dubya!

He'd walk the election in November, that's for sure. But a pro-gun control, pro-choice, pro-immigration, pro-gay marriage Italian Catholic winning over the American Taleban in "The Base"? That sounds like a long shot. Apart from control of the purse strings and the megaphone that the churches have to mobilize support, the fact is that it's the more extreme partisans (Rep and Dem) who come out and vote in the primaries.

Rudy's best chance is to forget about a 50 state strategy and the South in the primaries and basically employ the same strategy as suggested by some Democratic strategists. See the book "Whistling Without Dixie" for details. Assuming McCain gets torpedoed by Iraq (which he probably will- plus people are stating to realise how old he his-72 in 2008), Giuliani should walk states California, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio. Would probably take Illinois and certainly give Mitt Romney a run for his money in New England. If he spends so much as a bright shiney quarter in states like Mississippi before he gets the nomination, he should have his head examined.

Trip_Wire said:
Actually, my comments to 'shemulie,' were mostly in said in jest, to tease him about his background, that we discussed in PMs.

Cummon don't be harsh, I need to post here to get my web blogging badge!
If you check out peoples profiles you certainly didnt check out mine, not that I'm bloody Rambo or anything.... dib dib dob dob!

Trip_Wire said:
More on SF growth:

Sounds good. As wih our 'Future Army Structure' thats changing the face of our infantry, as long as changes and developments to the military are militarily and not politically driven.

shemulie said:
Trip_Wire said:
Actually, my comments to 'shemulie,' were mostly in said in jest, to tease him about his background, that we discussed in PMs.

If you check out peoples profiles you certainly didnt check out mine, not that I'm bloody Rambo or anything.... dib dib dob dob!

As a matter of fact I did check out your profile, as I do with anyone that addresses me. As well as the PM coversations that I mentioned. Yeah, I know your no 'Rambo,' a name BTW, causes hate and discontent to arise in real SF operators. (Most of the time one finds little data, in profiles here on ARRSE.)

That is why, I said what I did. Of course, your are intitled to your opinions on anything discussed here; however, when ones credibility and expertise is matched against their military experience, time in service, etc., as well as combat experience people like you, seem to be talking a little over their head. Just my opinion of course.

Trip_Wire said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Trip_Wire said:
shemulie:

Perhaps they might listen to you when you make Major General.

have you only served as in the ROTC and Cadets? Not a real good background for acting like you know something about how to run a campaign.

"Since when do you have to be a 2* to have an opinion on something?"

Actually, it was just a figure of speech any General would surffice. I was trying to point out the he didn't have much credability, IMHO to make the remarks he did, since he described his 'service' to me in PMs as being various types of ROTC cadet, etc. in these conversations.

"I mean look at you - 3 weeks in the 'speshull forces' 50+ years ago and you think you know everything. When in fact all you've done is continually prove to the rest of us you are an unpleasant and rude old man who can't think for himself but knows the key combinations of ctrl-c and ctrl-v. But you still expect us to listen to you. :shakefist:
"

I have to laugh when I see such a statement from you. You have attacked almost every post that I have posted here on this board. Most of the time resorting to rude, crude personal attacks and inaccurate data, like the above statements.

Considering you have over 1500 posts and I have less that would be a bit difficult. In fact I’ve called you up on about 4 occasions where I considered your attitude sucks.

If one checked my profile, before making such asine ststements, such as the ones on my service in Special Forces. just for your info, I served in SF for 10 plus years. I also served in the Occupation of Japan, the Korean war (in infantry combat). I served in the US Army and Air Force for over 30 Years. I am a retired SNCO and LE Officer, who has served his Country honorably in both jobs. And you?

I guess in your time here you’ve failed to pick up on the fact that we Brits find it in poor taste to gob off and boast about your service. Bad manners if you like. I did check your profile – the 3 weeks speshull (note spelling) forces comment was a bit tongue in cheek - and personally I couldn’t give a fcuk if you are Audie Murphy you are an incredibly rude and arrogant person – your service doesn’t change that.

You like most Brits here have nothing in your profile, so I have no idea what your background is, if any. Whatever it is, I would be very willing to compare my awards, decrations, etc., along with my military history and military expertise with your experience anytime.

See my previous comment – I have no compulsion to start willy waving. I know what I have done why the fcuk would I need to prove anything to you? And why is it whenever anyone questions your world viewpoint, you kick off in a rude and arrogant manner and call their military service into question?

I don't use personal attacks on other people on this board, unless the attack me first, then I reply in kind, just as I have here and in other cases.

Yes you do which is why I call you on it!!! example You expect people to be polite to you and respect your views but fail to do the same for them. Hippocrite.

So long as you continue to behave as such, people like me will call you on it. Learn some manners and you might enjoy yourself more here.

But to take things back on topic it seems Senator john McCain has thrown his hat into the ring for the Republican nomination.

Ord_Sgt:

My oh My! Feel better now?

Talk about a "incredibly rude and arrogant person." you take the 'cake' O_S!

Why don't you really tell me what you think of me. lol

[align=center]Many's the time that the court jester veiled the MERLIN...

:joker:

As a certain Greek once relayed to me, 'better a fool amongst Kings than a King amongst fools'. Really its rather a good job that the US is a republic. [/align]

Funny as fcuk me. But you still need to learn some manners and humility. But I suppose hope springs eternal you war hero you...

Ord_Sgt said:
Funny as fcuk me. But you still need to learn some manners and humility. But I suppose hope springs eternal you war hero you...

Me a hero? No way! I just did my job as a Combat Infantrymen. I'm just a War Veteran as well, as a veteran of Infantry Combat, in the Korean war. The real heros didn't come home or if they did, it was in a casket.

The only decorations that I got worth mentioning, was the Purple heart and the combat Infantry badge. Of the two, the CIB means the most to me. :thumright:

I have said this before, we americans treat the profile, as a place to sort of give a person an idea of the experience and military background of the individual, so that one can determine ones background and expertise in the subjects he/she is discussing. No brags involved.

I know that this isn't done here for some say OPSEC; however, IMHO one could provide some data in the profile without giving away to much.

One advantage you Brits have, is that many of you know each other, as well as some of the details about the individual in question. They in many case know if one is a combat veteran, One who served, with no combat experience, (Cold War Warrior.) The type of job or Regiment, Civilians who have never served, etc. On occasion, you even meet for Pub crawls, etc.

We Americans don't have this luxury. The only thing we 'get' rather rapidly, are those posters that are ant-american and never miss a chance to nit-pick anything an American posts here and attack them with rude crude personal remarks. Then you wonder why we respond in kind.

It for the most well known to many Americans here, who will do this any chance they get. I could give you the list, but you are quite aware of who does that since, you are one of them.

shemulie said:
Trip_Wire said:

Actually, I just noticed '4 para' at the bottom of your profile; however, I don't recall you mentioning in the PM exchange. Are you a fully qualified paratrooper in that organization? Served on active duty with them?

Is this the organization?

http://www.army.mod.uk/para/4bn.htm