American Police get it right!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EScotia, Jan 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been aired before but I just got it in an email.

POLK COUNTY FLORIDA SHERIFF GRADY JUDD

Some 'dirtbag' in Polk County Florida who got pulled over in a routine traffic stop ended up 'executing' the deputy who stopped him. The deputy was shot eight times, including once behind his right ear at close range.

Another deputy was wounded and a police dog killed.

A statewide manhunt ensued.

The low-life was found hiding in a wooded area with his gun. SWAT team officers fired and hit the guy 68 times.

Now here's the kicker:

Naturally, the media asked why they shot him 68 times. Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, told the Orlando Sentinel :

"That's all the bullets we had" :D :D :D
    (Talk about an all-time classic answer !!!)

2. Apparently, unlike the majority of the similar tales that are doing the rounds in email, this one is actually true.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/judd.asp

It isn't however, new.
    The events as reported took place on the 28th september, 2006.

One interesting fact of note is that they hit him 68 times, 110 shots having been fired by nine of a ten man swat team - is it just me or does 12 rounds per team member sound a little underarmed? :p
    And if it's "all the ammo we had", what was man number 10 doing with his weapon? :p

3. why would the police only have 68 rounds

4. Wah?

5. Dead suspects don't lie, or cost the tax payer more than the ammunition it takes to kill him / her, once found guilty . . . . :wink:
    Banjo Players :wink:

6. I had the pleasure of going out on patrol with the guys from this very dept. Signed up for a 'ridealong' when visiting Fla on holiday. Great bunchof guys, who were totally incredulous when I told them that we aren't routinely armed.

I was particularly impressed when the officer I was with, was
    (a) Typing on his car borne laptop
    (b) On his cell phone
    (c) Drinking a coffee

Whilst driving!

Talk about multi tasking!! LOL

On a serious note, they were extremely friendly and open about their job. By the way, the ridealong programme is not only open to bobbies, if anyone (particularly ex forces) wants to sign up for a shift, I massively recommend it. It makes a welcome change from the Magic Kingdom! I would suggest an MOD F90, or other form of ID to help speed things along, clearly warrant card and/or mil ID is a big help.

Polk County are just one of many Depts that do it. Check first, but if anyone fancies it, I would suggest an email to the relevant force, to prevent any waiting around when you arrive.

People may see the irony in my post, especially when this thread refers to a murdered officer. All I can say is, even in the US it's still relatively rare. Anyway, I' m sure no US police officer would object to a firearms trained ridealong passenger!!

7. Could they not have just winged him, seen it on a John Wayne film.

8. They probably did... to start with! :D

9. They did, just he bled on there shoes so they took offense?

68 times? Did he survive?

10. I imagine he found he'd developed a tendency to rattle...

Irritating but he could always hire himself out to a Latin-American band as a one-man rhythm section! :D

11. Sheriff Grady Judd - doesn't look like your 'normal' Sh*t kicking Sherrif!!

[​IMG]

12. Probably on the ammo replen run.

13. Re my last post. I was chuffed to bits when Polk County Sherrifs Office presented me with a T shirt. Until I saw it was embossed with........ PCSO!!!

14. good on them,

why should they risk their lives, when he has already killed? one less prison place and taxpayers money saved.

at least he was a legitimate target - altough, thinking about it, he has a hispanic name, so perhaps they thought he was a brazilian !!!

ps (before the barrage) - altough brazilians speak portugese, they look similar!!!

H.

15. Hemingway tut tut...They 'look similar' do they?' Straight to the police deprogramming/reprogramming centre for you.....