American Polemicist Slams Royal Marine W@nkers

Ralph Peters, a well known American polemicist and retired US Army officer, has published an interesting piece in the New York Post about the hostage 'crisis'. Given the way events have unfolded, I wonder what ARRSErs think?

NEW YORK POST - Ralph Peters

April 3, 2007 -- THE greatest shock from the Middle East this year hasn't been terrorist ruthlessness or the latest Iranian tantrum. It's that members of Britain's Royal Marines wimped out in a matter of days and acquiesced in propaganda broadcasts for their captors.

Jingoism aside, I can't imagine any squad of U.S. Marines behaving in such a shabby, cowardly fashion. Our Marines would have fought to begin with. Taken captive by force, they would've resisted collaboration. To the last man and woman.

You could put a U.S. Marine in a dungeon and knock out his teeth, but you wouldn't knock out his pride in his country and the Corps. "Semper fi" means something.

And our Aussie allies would be just as tough.

What on earth happened to the Royal Marines? They're members of what passes for an elite unit. Has the Labor government's program to gut the U.K. military - grounding planes, taking ships out of service and deactivating army units - also ripped the courage from the breasts of those in uniform?

The female sailor who broke down first and begged for her government to surrender was pathetic enough. But when Royal Marines started pleading for tea and sympathy . . . Ma, say it ain't so!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0403200...nston__opedcolumnists_ralph_peters.htm?page=0

He didn't say what you've headlined this post with. Get back to your editor and tell him to get a grip.

Edit after bothering to read the piece. Yes he did. I hope his address isn't in the public domain.

Whiskeybreath,

If you read the whole article at the link you will see the following direct quote. So, I paraphrased the quote but I think I captured the spirit.

"And the Royal Marine company to which those ******* belong should be disbanded and stricken from the rolls."

As a Royal Marine I find that quite strong!

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
Typical journo turd looking for a quick quote.

Arrsers - don't give this tool the time of day.

Just goes to show that either he didn't read or understand about the capture or he's an idiot and would rather see his beloved marines die poinlessly rather than live to fight another day.

As a retired American Army Officer I take it he's tasted defeat more than victory going by America's last 50 years of efforts so he is hardly in a position to comment on the British.

Who cares what a post WW2 spam officer thinks?

The closest he has probably ever got to winning was junior basketball in the 5th grade. The list of "American solitary military victories" wouldn't fill a cold war microdot if it was written in 20 feet high letters.

Anything quoted b y a spam is akin to reading the Beano, except Beano quotes are aimed at a higher age group and are more truthful.

Is this a wind up? I met many US soldiers and USMC during my service. None of whom were the standard of Royal.

Septics you have too love em! When there not winning the second world war for single handedly for us they just! Cant help! But give advice and democracy too the free world.

OK, so you are armed with SA80s and 9mm pistols, and you get surrounded by patrol boats mounting 12mm Dushkys, 30mm cannon and God knows what else, and you are in a RIB that is made of rubber and GRP.. yep, I guess he's right, they could have given a better account of themselves.
Is this c*nt of the George Armstrong Custer school of odds-weighing?

Fugly said:
Typical journo turd looking for a quick quote.

Arrsers - don't give this tool the time of day.
My thoughts exactly. You bite, they write.

He sounds like a tw*t. It would be best to just ignore him

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
How we do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oq4Ltylym8

How are colonial cousins do it

444 Days

The Iran hostage crisis was a diplomatic crisis that lasted from November 4, 1979, through January 20, 1981. Members of the Muslim Student Followers of the Imam's Line, a group of militant university students who were supported by the new Islamic regime, held 63 diplomats and three additional U.S. citizens hostage inside the American diplomatic mission in Tehran, Iran.

The captors released several captives, but 52 hostages remained until the conclusion of the crisis. During the crisis the United States attempted a rescue operation, Operation Eagle Claw. The operation failed and resulted in the deaths five USAF Airmen and three US Marines.

Semper fi my Arrse did they just give name rank and number?

the_boy_syrup said:
How we do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oq4Ltylym8

How are colonial cousins do it

444 Days

The Iran hostage crisis was a diplomatic crisis that lasted from November 4, 1979, through January 20, 1981. Members of the Muslim Student Followers of the Imam's Line, a group of militant university students who were supported by the new Islamic regime, held 63 diplomats and three additional U.S. citizens hostage inside the American diplomatic mission in Tehran, Iran.

The captors released several captives, but 52 hostages remained until the conclusion of the crisis. During the crisis the United States attempted a rescue operation, Operation Eagle Claw. The operation failed and resulted in the deaths five USAF Airmen and three US Marines.

Semper fi my Arrse did they just give name rank and number?
Your point and relevance with this post is what?

Compare and contrast:

The 1980 "siege" was on UK soil and involved mostly Iranian "hostages".

The 1979 assault against the US embassy was in Tehran, Iran. The hostages were all american diplomats.

The UK mounted operations from their own soil against an embassy in their country.

The US flew half way around the world in a last ditch "save my peanut farm" effort on a shoe string budget since Carter sorted that out earlier by slashing the defense budget. to rescue all of our own people in a foreign land, from being taken hostage.

Nice comparisson.

PS don't agree with the Ralphie article just pointing out your are mixing apples with oranges.

I think the writer is a clown, however for a lot of people, UK and US alike the sight of Brits reading off Iranian propaganda was shocking.

I was shocked and may be out of date but I thought a golden rule of capture was not to sign anything or get involved in a broadcast of any kind. Of course it is easy to say that from where I sitting but I still found it shocking at the level of participation.

Vonshot said:
I think the writer is a clown, however for a lot of people, UK and US alike the sight of Brits reading off Iranian propaganda was shocking.

I was shocked and may be out of date but I thought a golden rule of capture was not to sign anything or get involved in a broadcast of any kind. Of course it is easy to say that from where I sitting but I still found it shocking at the level of participation.
Likewise, however there is evidently more to it and we'll discover the truth over the next few days.