American oil Prices - my heart bleeds, no really it does

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by fuctifino, Apr 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So because they are beginning to pay reasonable prices for petrol they get all upset; to defend Cletus and his pals they take it out on the oil Companies, how they have the gall to challenge Shell and BP for making too much when they aren't even US companies is beyond me.

$3.29 a GALLON, suck it up fellas

FULL STORY

2. Pity they can't say sod ya we will sell it elsewhere

3. Plus their sales tax is only about 4 or 5% and not 17.5% like us :evil:

4. Standby for Civil War II - The Carnage Continues! :twisted:

Of course, in the South they would have to call it The War of Northern Aggression II, which is'nt quite as catchy... :roll:

5. Why don't the oil companies just say "Fair enough, sorry to have bothered you. 'Bye, now"?

It's the kind of inward looking isolationist fantasy that the Good Ol' US of A can be self-sufficient that stops their governments addressing international problems in a grown-up way. Perhaps having their noses rubbed in just exactly how much they depend on the rest of the world to shore up their standard of living might just take the edge off that unthinking chauvinism that gets so many backs up.

• Like Like x 2
  6. In US there are huge distances to traverse, mate, and most Americans have far longer commutes than we do. For the most part, except around large cities, the public transit hardly exists.

That being said, many continue to buy huge petrol guzzling SUVs and pick up trucks, so for them, I've no sympathy.

7. So the point here is that I only have a 2 mile commute to work so I should pay more for my petrol than you who commutes 10 miles, plainly ridiculous.

The major reason Americans pay less for fuel is that their government decides to tax them less on it. I have to agree with the point that if they don't want to pay for it then the oil companies could quite easily flog it elsewhere, it's called market forces, business is in the business of making profit not giving it's product away just because its customers believe they are paying to much for it.

I find myself agreeing that the American public has had it good for a long while, if fuel prices are rising over there then tough get used to it like the rest of the world.

8. So because they are beginning to pay reasonable prices for petrol they get all upset

It's not them that are being frced to pay reasonable rates, it's us that are paying way too much in tax.

Under the guise of being environmentally friendly, the biggest lie ever sold, when it emerged that there was a 200 gbp per person shortfall in the budget this year, it was said that allister dowling will make up the difference in "green taxes" whilst the world is getting warmer, of that there is little dispute, I think it's very arrogant to think it's us as a species who are doing it.

The earth has always fluctuated in temperature since time began.

9. I have to say that I'm actually really affected by this. I have a very efficient car, about 35 mpg highway.

I have to commute a distance of 70 miles a day each way. I went to google earth to find a route you could relate to and it would be equivalent of you driving from Portsmouth to Buckinghamshire and back every day.

I spend now, roughly $5,000 US just on gas and tolls to get to work. That's a fairly significant amount of money. Moving isn't an option with 2 small children under the age of 2 with a mother in law that watches them.

You have to remember, the economy has to catch up to the prices. They've pretty much doubled in the past 2 years and it's not like my salary has.

I know you guys have much higher prices, and Germany even higher prices and everyone is getting crunched by the demand.

But it's important that you realize that most Americans don't run around in big gas guzzling soccer mom mobiles. Some Americans make $6 an hour, some waitstaff, $3.20 an hour with tips. Now factor in the gas to get to those jobs and you can see that they are the hardest hit. Especially in areas without public transportation.

The idea behind the oil isn't necessarily an American feeling of "entitlement" it stems more from the cheap gas prior to the 70s when texas produced much of the worlds oil. Much of the infrastructure still revolves around that.

10. Ahhhh! But they don't have real gallons over there, do they? :twisted:

I agree with mark1234

11. I think you'll find that about 65% of what you pay at the pump is tax, VAT and petrol duty. (More if you count things like corporation tax on the oil companies.)

In CA we get taxed 62.8 cents a (US) gallon (about 3.78L) and regular unleaded gas in LA is $3.60-$3.80 a gallon, but because of the size of the engines, it's not uncommon to see people spending in excess of $110-120 to fill a tank with the bigger SUVs and older Cadillacs etc.

The lesson the natives need to learn is that the 6 litre, 300 BHP engine in your SUV probably isn't necessary to take Caitlin and Jordan to soccer practice on a freeway where for 20 hours a day you're lucky to get up to 45mph.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  12. Not trying to be picky but with all the space they have is this not a matter of choice? I live in South Birmingham and am about to move to Shropshire but stay in my job in Dudley. My travelling distance will more than double but if I'm not prepared to take the hit I can't move. Like I said, its a matter of choice.

13. First, mate, am not American and I take their tube to work, for the most part. I have a small economy car for when I cannot.

Second, is hardly a question of '10 miles' - more like 40 to 50 that many commute. The government has not levied such high tax because it would have an adverse effect on the US economy. But I do agree, those who drive such wasteful vehicles deserve what they get.

14. Actually my commute is 70. each way 140 miles if you count by days at work.

15. That is horrendous, but as I say, with the huge distances to traverse, not that unusual and as you say, American wages have not kept up with inflation. Not sure where you live, but when I was in Florida, would say that two thirds of the vehicles were SUVs or pickup trucks that were not being used as business vehicles. I noticed near all the SUVs were driven by a lone woman. :?:

Here in the northeast, are less of them, but still would say one third to one half are SUVs. I believe at one point tax credits were given to those who bought them! It should be just the opposite.