Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Looking to Join the British Army Reserves

Hello Everyone, I am an American citizen who has lived in the UK for over 6 years working in the IT industry. I loved this country, its people and culture! I plan to settle here. I've put in my application for citizenship so that I can serve as on officer in the British Army Reserves. I am wondering how I will fit into the British military culture, not really expecting any prejudices just wondering if there is anything I can expect - I have an strong American accent so that there is that. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Your profile states that you're 48, which suggests that you're on the cusp of being just over the age limit (48 9 months for the Army)

The upper age limit for the RAF, however, is 50.

Good luck

People will find your strong American accent really really really annoying really really really quickly. Oh and we use cutlery properly over here.
Bloody Yanks!!
Good luck though, pull your finger out, you're running out if time age wise

Hello Everyone, I am an American citizen who has lived in the UK for over 6 years working in the IT industry. I loved this country, its people and culture! I plan to settle here. I've put in my application for citizenship so that I can serve as on officer in the British Army Reserves. I am wondering how I will fit into the British military culture, not really expecting any prejudices just wondering if there is anything I can expect - I have an strong American accent so that there is that. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

You’ll have to look into what it takes to convert your educational qualifications into U.K. equivalents. It’s not as simple as in the US where a degree is required and that’s about it. You’ll need to have your US courses of study mapped to ALIS points and the like. A standard US 4-year degree with a major in “x” and a minor in ”y” might not map to a UK bachelor’s degree.

At 48 why bother? Time commitment is huge and working in IT, you would have to be on call or something.
He could be working for a supplier who encourages this kind of thing. Was surprised to hear a US accent in a v secure site server room ten years ago or so. Ex USAF chap doing hardware support for a company.

He could be working for a supplier who encourages this kind of thing. Was surprised to hear a US accent in a v secure site server room ten years ago or so. Ex USAF chap doing hardware support for a company.

Actually will be leaving my job to pursue a PhD. Would like to join the Reserves then, if possible, commit full-time once done with Uni.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Apply. Let the Army decide.

Actually will be leaving my job to pursue a PhD. Would like to join the Reserves then, if possible, commit full-time once done with Uni.
As posted already by someone else, RAF prolly a better bet.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wouldn’t worry about your accent.

There are actual Brummies in the British military.

Your accent and vocabulary will be infinitely better than vomit that comes out of their mouths.

In all seriousness we have an Italian bloke in my unit who has the full “eh babadabingbong mya mummas secret recipe” shit going on.

Also met a bloke from Malta in my last unit who’s accent was unlike any form of the English language I’ve ever heard.

Accent won’t be an issue.

Your accent and vocabulary will be infinitely better than vomit that comes out of their mouths.

In all seriousness we have an Italian bloke in my unit who has the full “eh babadabingbong mya mummas secret recipe” shit going on.

Also met a bloke from Malta in my last unit who’s accent was unlike any form of the English language I’ve ever heard.

You forgot weedgies

Best of luck with it and I would not worry about your accent and nationality.
I have met British Army reservists who were West Indian, Nigerian, Aussie, Kiwi and even some chaps from Doncaster.
We had some chaps over once from the USMC on a training course once until Maj. Buzzcut decided, 2 days in, that it was too hazardous for his wee darlings. Never saw them again.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

I'm pretty sure that you need to be a British or Commonwealth citizen with permanent residency.
Happy to be corrected, though.
"I've put in my application for citizenship" Should be enough when it comes through and he's been resident in UK long enough. Age is the kicker.

I gave that a funny as I served with a load of Brummies and I spat my whisky out. It was watered, so the carpet gets a drink.
No-one cares. Apply, and see what happens. If you are allowed to live here, and want to join, go ahead. Do not pretend to be Canadian. Be who you are.
You could always ask to join the Rifles as a “Loyal American”.
M’learned friends will be along soon. 60th? Later KRRC?

Last edited:

Latest Threads