• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

American lesson of democracy to Iraqi journalist

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1682208,00.html

American troops in Baghdad yesterday blasted their way into the home of an Iraqi journalist working for the Guardian and Channel 4, firing bullets into the bedroom where he was sleeping with his wife and children.
Ali Fadhil, who two months ago won the Foreign Press Association young journalist of the year award, was hooded and taken for questioning. He was released hours later.
But wat is his guilt?

Dr Fadhil is working with Guardian Films on an investigation for Channel 4's Dispatches programme into claims that tens of millions of dollars worth of Iraqi funds held by the Americans and British have been misused or misappropriated.
Now I see that he is indeed a very dangerous insurgent.

E

error_unknown

Segey if I did a raid and found a Guardian Journalist, I wouldn't be wasting 5.56mm firing widly into the bedroom!

A disturbing story, 'Guardian journo' or not.

No doubt the US troops who carried out the raid were acting in good faith, but the coalition might be well advised to look rather closely at the source of the intel fingering the journalist or his address. Apart from anything else, the corruption allegations may involve US and British taxpayers' money as well as 'Iraqi funds', whatever they may be.

Yes, a bit of a mistake on the spams side. This will be yet another journo who will now look sceptically upon the Coalitions presence in iraq (If he didn't already, what with being a guardian journo :wink: )

My guess is that the reality was that when they bashed in the door, some guy had a negligent discharge of a single round somewhere, this got re-described into 'came in shooting'.

I have never seen a TTP trained in the US which has people shoot as soon as the door is open, even in conventional urban ops.

NTM

People are jumping to believe the journalist on this, without hearing the American veiw and not weighing the prepublicity that the Guardian likes to engage in on its special projects involving real media like telly