American Law Enforcement

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by redinjun, Jul 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At least the Police in the USA have got their priorities correct....!!

American Justice

That'll learn her!! :clap:
  2. Beaten up for not waterng her lawn? And they say we have a nanny state?
  3. Yeah, because we get EVERYTHING right! :roll:

Pot calling Kettle, over.
  4. Aah, I see the delicacies of sarcasm are lost on you dear boy!
  5. I did'nt realise you were being sarcastic; I thought you were being a cnut.

My bad! :twisted:
  6. Oh no, I quite like the septics! I just thought this was classic deep middle america up to it's old tricks!!!

Anyway, I'm not anywhere near useful or entertaining enough to be a c........
  7. Oh shit, I forgot to mow or water the garden, and there is an unmistakable brown mark right in the middle oh shit oh shit... they are gonna come and get me 8O
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

American justice is not blind, it knows who the old ladies are, and who the chief's of staff for the vice president are.

What scares me most about the US, is its mandatory sentences for crimes. There's a poor 21 year old boy in jail over there getting a BJ from a 15 year old whilst he was 17. Just another 17 years to do on his mandatory minimum 20 year sentence...
  9. As opposed to peadophiles being let out early after raping children? And then doing it again?

I'm not blind to the faults of our Septic cousins. But we are really not in any position to take the p1ss.

Glass houses, old boy.
  10. Well, obviously both nations have faults riddling them.

However, this thread is specifically about US justice etc., and a good point is made about the mandatory sentences. They just don't allow for any sensible judgements. If you are honest with yourself, would you consider a 17 year old guy getting a BJ from a 15 year old girl a criminal act requiring minimum 20 years? Would you even consider it a criminal act?
  11. Fair one! :D
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

WW, firstly both us and our less educated cousings let folks out of prison early. Sometimes in error, sometimes by mistake.

20 year minimum sentences or mandatory charges of rape if the age difference takes the girl under a certain age if you are in (name your southern state of choice here) are madness.

I love americans, I think they're great but their politicians (and i say this having gone on a stag/bachelor party with a senator) are after nothing more than votes, money and power.

Reference glass houses... you make the mistake of assuming that I can't criticise the UK - I can most certainly and often do. But not on this issue.
  13. If he knew she was 15, he deserves a slap, though I agree that 20 years is a tad harsh.

It's possible he did'nt know she was not of legal age - is it 16 or 18 in the US? But at the end of the day, if you don't know for sure - keep it in your pants.

I think the reasons the Yanks have mandatory sentances is that they don't trust their judges to make the right decisions.

If their judges are anything like ours, I can't say I blame them.
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Don't you get it! Thats the bloody point. The Sun newspaper screams "3 months for murder - Justice gone mad" and some bloke in the street is convinced he can't be protected by the law.. In reality the murder was 2nd degree manslaughter and the victim jumped out in front of a drunk driver who was 1.1 times over the limit and couldn't avoid hitting him...

The press get the public het up - the politicians go on telly and say how terrible it is and all of a sudden you have sentincing powers removed from the judges (those old blokes with 50 years of experience) and put into the hands of a politician that wants a few more votes from Sun readers...

Its nuts, and it's happening now. The only saving grace is that we don't have local laws like the yanks...
  15. So, American politicians are nothing like ours, then! :D

Sorry mate, but I could'nt let that one slip. :twisted:

I agree that, in the case you quoted, 20 years is a rediculous sentance. For "real" rape, 20 years is not long enough.

Perhaps I over-reacted to the original Post; Septic-bashing p1sses me off when I think of all the things wrong with THIS country. And I still believe we could learn a thing or two from the Yanks when it comes to Law Enforcement.